Monday, December 22, 2014

DSA lines up fall entertainment

Aug. 21, 2007

From a concert featuring indie band Rilo Kiley to a speech by "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, students have a variety of activities to choose from this semester, and most of them won't put a major dent in students' bank accounts.

The Missouri Students Association's Department of Student Activities has been working this summer to schedule shows and speakers for students.

Most of the events are being offered at the lowest student rate possible, Special Events Chairwoman Marissa Sharkey said.

Rilo Kiley will perform at Jesse Auditorium on Sept. 12. The band recently released its new album, Under the Blacklight. College Music Committee Chairwoman Rachel Parish said the committee tries to showcase upcoming artists and albums through its concert series.

The committee uses several different sources to find artists and bands.

"We use student surveys and Facebook's 'Top Music' list to get student feedback, as well as a variety of different music magazines and Web sites like Pollstar and Billboard," Parish said.

The College Music Committee has also scheduled Girl Talk for Nov. 8. Girl Talk is the alias of disc jockey Gregg Gillis, who creates electronic mash-ups of rap and rock.

Sharkey said the process of finding and researching performers is entirely student-run.

"We have a committee where we bounce ideas back and forth," Sharkey said. "When we find something we like, we'll call an agent to find out more information to see if the program will benefit students."

She said it's a lengthy process to go from an idea at a meeting to negotiating a contract.

The Special Events Committee has booked comedian Josh Blue to perform in Jesse Auditorium on Sept. 14. Blue first shot to fame when he became the winner of the fourth season of "Last Comic Standing."

Sharkey said the Special Events Committee is negotiating other contracts for comedians to perform at MU, and the committee has begun planning events for Halloween.

"Traditionally, we do a ghost hunt every year," Sharkey said. "But this year I want to mix it up a little bit, so we're looking at various other programs."

MSA's Speakers Committee has lined up both comedic and inspirational guests for the beginning of the year. On Sept. 13, Christopher Gardner, author and protagonist of "The Pursuit of Happyness," will speak in Jesse Auditorium on behalf of the Delta Gamma Foundation. Following Gardner's speech, there will be a screening of the film adaptation of "The Pursuit of Happyness," which stars Will Smith.

"Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane and satirist Henry Rollins are also scheduled to speak at Jesse Auditorium.

"All speakers were booked over the summer," Speakers Committee Chairwoman Sarah Powers said. "Christopher Gardner was chosen after much deliberation by members of the Delta Gamma Foundation Lectureship, who looked for a speaker of high values and ethics. MacFarlane and Rollins were chosen because of their popularity with students and prevalence in pop culture."