Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Guest Column: Help support the Republican cause

Aug. 31, 2007

The Maneater reserves the right to edit letters and columns for style and length.

College Republicans at MU continues to grow by leaps and bounds as more students on our campus identify with the Republican virtues of strength, results, optimism, opportunity and freedom. The Republican Party is the party of Ronald Reagan, and like Reagan, we continue to believe that people are basically good and have the right to be free.

We believe every life is sacred and bigotry and prejudice are the worst things of which a person could be guilty. We believe in the Golden Rule, the power of prayer and that America is not just a place in the world, but the hope of the world. Reagan was a man of great hope, and as we move into the 21st century, the Republican Party continues to be the party of hope for tomorrow.

With a field of nine great Republican leaders, and the first voting to take place only months away, the MU College Republicans are going to have a busy schedule this first semester.

At 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 5, we will have our first meeting in Memorial Union S016. This year, the College Republicans are planning a flag display and evening candlelight vigil to memorialize the sixth anniversary of the horrific terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Finally, we will round out the month of September with a statewide Youth Republican Leadership Conference, which we will play host to at the university. We know it is a busy month and everyone is short on time, but the future of our country is important, and to win in 2008, it is going to take the hard work of every Republican. Now is a critical time for all Republicans to become politically involved.

In the coming semester, Republicans at MU should participate in political discourse by supporting a candidate and discussing your candidate's agenda at one of our meetings. Our excellent slate of candidates has shown they believe our generation will be the defining factor in this election.

Friends, we have now become that next generation that must defend the virtues of the conservative cause.