Friday, August 18, 2017

Festival fosters fun and flavor

Five-time Grammy winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Buddy Guy headlines the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival on Saturday night at the Shelter Insurance Stage. Guy played a combination of classics, covers and new material, and kept the audience engaged by walking through the crowd at one point.

William Lounsbury/Senior Staff Photographer

Adolphus Bell performs at the Peace Park Stage with other artists from the Music Maker Relief Foundation on Saturday evening. The foundation raises money to help support musicians in need to keep traditional roots and blues music alive.

Brenden Neville/Senior Staff Photographer

Soul singer Roy C performs at the Shelter Insurance Stage at Eighth and Cherry Streets on Friday night. The legendary artist sang hits such as 'Shotgun Wedding' and entertained the crowd with his sexually-themed musings.

Nicholas Jain/Staff Photographer

Ruthie Foster performs at the Peace Park Stage on Friday night. Foster's style is a combination of folk, gospel and blues.

Nicholas Jain/Staff Photographer

Barbecue judge Matthew Holmer taste-tests chicken at the official judging tent for the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival Barbecue Contest on Saturday. This year's grand champion was the Blaster BBQ team.

Video: Roots 'N Blues 'N Barbecue - Barbecue Competition

A quick look at the barbecue competition during the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival.

» Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ 2008

Slideshow: Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ 2008

The Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival took place last week in downtown Columbia for the second year in a row.

» View slideshow

The second-annual Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival brought more than 100,000 concert-goers to downtown Columbia this past weekend.

This festival showcased first-class roots and blues musicians and other artists, including Grammy Award winners Buddy Guy and Jerry Douglas.

In addition to the musical entertainment, the Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctioned a competition with more than 50 entrants in several categories. The overall winner of the barbecue contest was the Blaster BBQ team from Mustang, Okla.

After last year's festival, which was intended as a celebration for Boone County National Bank's 150th anniversary, it was unclear whether the festival would return to Columbia for a second year. This spring, the city approved $100,000 in funding to bring the festival back.

However, a state of uncertainty has already emerged regarding the future of Roots 'N Blues, including whether producer Thumper Entertainment can find sufficient sponsors to make the festival a more permanent fixture in Columbia.