Thursday, March 23, 2017

True/False photo essay

Columbia resident Carl Orazio and friend Vicki Cooley watch the Pine Hill Haints perform at the Reel Gone Round-Up at an auction barn off of Business Loop 70 on Sunday morning. While Cooley does not live in Columbia, she comes to visit her son and attend the True/False Film Fest every year. "I come back for this," Cooley said.

Esten Hurtle/Senior Staff Photographer

Country/folk musician Brody Douglas Hunt performs at the Cherry Street Artisan on Saturday night during Homegrown Hullabaloo. Brody, who learned about the True/False Film Fest from a friend, came from North Carolina to play at the festival.

William Lounsbury/Senior Staff Photographer

Columbia musician Wil Reeves fronts Penny Marvel at the Cherry Street Artisan Saturday night as one of the headliners of Homegrown Hullabaloo.

With judges and directors Esther Robinson, David Schisgall and Sean Donnelly, host Jonathan Gotsick breaks in between contestants during the filming of the pilot episode of the game show "Gimme Truth." "Gimme Truth" challenged amateur filmmakers to film two-minute documentaries on either real people or made-up characters.

Local director Matt Bryan and host Jonathan Gotsick watch Bryan's short film "Sonya" during "Gimme Truth" at Macklanburg Cinema on Stephens College campus Saturday. Bryan beat nine other amateur filmmakers and won the "Gimme Truth" contest.

True/False Film Fest director David Wilson presents Academy Award-winning director Alex Gibney with the True Vision Award before the Sunday morning showing of Gibney's film "Taxi to the Dark Side." Last week, the film won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.

"Taxi to the Dark Side" director Alex Gibney fields questions from the audience after the screening of his Academy Award-winning documentary. The film addressed the U.S.'s use of torture on prisoners captured during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Festivalgoers wait in line outside of Jesse Auditorium Sunday night for the final showing of "Man on Wire."

Non-ticket holders wait outside of Jesse Auditorium on Sunday after those who already bought tickets entered first. This procedure was practiced throughout the entire festival, but it did not prevent most festivalgoers from viewing films they wanted to see.

Introducing the weekend's final film, "Man on Wire," True/False Film Fest directors Paul Sturtz and David Wilson talk about the success of the festival on Sunday in Jesse Auditorium.

With the rest of the band playing background music, Justin Lander of The Boxcutter Cabaret Puppet Tour tells a story at the Cherry Street Artisan during North by Southwest on Friday. The Boxcutter Cabaret is a collective of many musicians from all around the country.

Filmmaker Joshua Z. Weinstein talks with other filmmakers and Columbia residents during Filmmaker Fete on Friday at Sycamore. Filmmaker Fęte offered residents a chance to talk one-on-one with the directors whose films are showcased during the True/False Film Fest.

The True/False Film Fest parade moves toward Stephens College on Friday. The parade signaled the official beginning of the film festival, which will continue until Sunday.

Leading Mucca Pazza, sousaphonist Mark Messing marches down Broadway on Friday. Mucca Pazza is a marching band of sorts that dressed in outrageous costumes for the parade.

Accordiant player Ronnie Kuller marches in formation alongside guitarist Jeff Thomas as part of Mucca Pazza's routine during the True/False Film Fest parade on Friday.

Parade goers look on while members of the horns section of Mucca Pazza play behind them on Friday. Sections of the band would surreptitiously join the crowd and then surprise the public with the band's music coming from all directions.

Biking down Broadway, Eric Bunch and his friend whom he would only call "Polar Bear" were just one of the many characters leading the way of the True/False Film Fest parade on Friday.

Assorted photos from this weekend's True/False Film Fest.