Saturday, October 25, 2014

Tap Day reveals society inductees

Missouri Students Association Department of Student Activities director Rachel Parrish, Orthopedic Surgery Clinical Assistant Professor Tom Brant and MSA Acadmenic Affairs Committee chairwoman Phyllis Williams are announced as new members of QEBH, the oldest secret society on campus, during Friday's Tap Day ceremony in Jesse Auditorium. For the first time in 11 years, the ceremony was held indoors because of inclement weather.

Dan Brenner/Senior Staff Photographer
Amy Oslica/Graphic Designer

A group of about 80 members of the MU community, newly inducted into MU’s six secret honor societies, was met with enthusiastic cheers in Jesse Auditorium Friday. The 81st annual Tap Day ceremony revealed students who excel in many areas to their friends and family.

This year marked the 100th anniversary of LSV, an organization dedicated to promoting and improving the status of women.

“Those tapped represent our institutional values in action: respect, responsibility, excellence and discovery,” Chancellor Brady Deaton said in his opening remarks.

After remarks from Deaton and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Cathy Scroggs, each honor organization revealed the identities of its new members.

LSV initiate Lindsey Cole said her favorite part of Tap Day was meeting LSV alumnae who came for the anniversary.

“I was so honored to be a part of LSV because I had admired those women and their positions on campus and all the work that they do,” she said. “And not only was it my year to get tapped, but that I could share it with all of the alumnae that had come back into town really brought it full circle.”

LSV held a dinner Friday night for its members to celebrate the centennial anniversary.

“In years past it’s a small celebration, and it’s still wonderful,” Cole said. “But you don’t get to see the history you’re becoming a part of.”

LSV Committee member Linda Russell said the LSV members who attended the dinner represented many decades of membership. The oldest member is a member of the 1939 LSV class, she said.

“We did a lot of sharing memories of time in LSV and how things have changed in the last 100 years.”

Cole said waiting onstage to hear her name tapped was “a sensation overload.”

“You’re in your hood and you’re in the dark and you’re not supposed to talk,” she said. “And then all of a sudden, you have your hood unveiled and there’s a whole auditorium of people.”

Cole said her parents were in the front row of Jesse Auditorium, and she was able to see them after she was revealed.

“I definitely had a support group there,” she said. “It was an amazing experience.”

LSV members are selected a year in advance of their Tap Day reveal, and spend the year secretly meeting, working and bonding together.

“Tap Day was great but just being a part of LSV was the most valuable part of the experience,” she said.

Tap Day had special significance for Omicron Delta Kappa initiate Carrie Bien, whose parents were both members of the society when they attended MU, she said.

“My parents were there and when they first took off my hood I saw where my parents were and my dad and I almost started crying,” she said. “It’s cool that we’re sharing it.”

Bien said she enjoyed hearing her friends’ names called as they were tapped while she was waiting for her own tap.

“When I still had my hood on and heard other people being tapped, it was really neat to hear my friends and people in other organizations being tapped,” she said.