Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Column: Missouri-Nebraska a fight to the death

Matt Gerstner

It has come to my attention that I pissed a few Nebraska fans off in my last column where I said, "Nebraska is not as good as people thought."

I would like to apologize for that comment. I admit it was a little inaccurate. In conjunction with my apology, I would like to issue another statement in regard to the upcoming epic-ness that is Thursday's Missouri-Nebraska contest.

Missouri will either kill or get killed by Nebraska.

For one reason or another, I just don't think this is going to be a close game. I just think if one team is on, the other will be more turned off than a hot girl at a World of Warcraft convention.

If you haven't noticed, I'm a big believer in having the right mindset to win ball games. I think that goes further than talent. That's how most upsets happen.

That being said, if Missouri doesn't go into this with some confidence, they're going to get rolled. Same goes for Nebraska. If there are any reservations about what might happen, what might go wrong, things will go wrong. Very, very wrong.

I absolutely despise Soulja Boy, but I'm going to use what most people believe to be a song (I think it's more of a shame of the music industry).

Simply put, the Tigers have to turn their swag on and do it when they hop up out the bed if they're going to beat the Huskers.

It's all about confidence with this game. Emotions will already be riding high, this being a rivalry and all. The game is on ESPN, so the stomach butterflies will be battering around on the inside. Add those to a game that will give the winner momentary supremacy in the Big 12 North, and you'll be able to see the nerves firing on the field.

The things is, neither team got wins against legit opponents to get them brimming with confidence. Sure they won. But Missouri didn't look amazing against Nevada. A 55-0 win for Nebraska would look great if it wasn't against a team like University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Luckily, both coaches have had about two weeks to prepare for this game. That's plenty of time to get your team buying into the hate, the rivalry, the Tigger references, the N-for-knowledge jokes, the revenge aspect, the drive to keep the streak going and what it could do for their season.

According to the Associated Press poll, it's No. 21 Nebraska at No. 24 Missouri. For USA Today, it's No. 22 Nebraska at No. 18 Missouri.

Basically what that means is nobody knows what the hell to make of this game. Nobody knows how good these two teams are. And I don't know what to tell you. I don't have much more of a clue than anyone else.

I hope I'm wrong about the whole "kill or be killed" thing. I want to see a good game. I kind of want to bite my nails until the end. It's just more fun that way.

But let's just entertain the idea that I'm right, for my sake. I have two predictions. It will be Missouri 38-6 or Nebraska 41-17.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the previous. But hey, I'm a bit of a homer.

Oct. 6, 2009 at 1:43 p.m.

Merkules: Nice article Matt. As a lifelong, and diehard Husker fan, I hope it's the Huskers in a route. I jsut don't think that will be the case. On paper, both teams are effectively starting over at several of their skill positions with yound players. I think it is going to come down to a battle of the lines both offensively and defensively. If Mizzou's Oline can buy Gabbert some time watch out. If our Dline gets to Gabbert, it could be a very long night for the kid. Good luck!!

Oct. 6, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.

Mizzouman: great work man

Oct. 6, 2009 at 2:11 p.m.

Ed: @Matt Let the border war begin. @Larry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7j-zJrbPk

Oct. 6, 2009 at 4:57 p.m.

Huskerman: Mizzou will score 41, they have to keep the streak alive. Henry will kick 7 field goals, and Nebraska will score 2 touchdowns (with PATs) to make NU's score 35. The game will have 1:31 seconds left, and Huskers will have the ball on the Mizzou 36 yard line. If they score, imagine Henry botching his first PAT in eons....OT!!! If they don't score, bye-bye goalposts. Good luck, Mizzou, I am a Husker that has enjoyed the great games between our teams (except for the one in 1978), and will enjoy this game even more now that my kid is a Mizzou student.

Oct. 7, 2009 at 10:11 a.m.

Matt Gerstner: @Huskerman: Interesting (and graphic) theory. I always imagined some pass being tipped and ricocheting off someone's foot and then a receiver diving to make a catch. But that's just too involved to ever happen..... @Everyone else: Thank you much for the comments. They are appreciated.