Missouri’s defensive breakdown proves costly

Nebraska was shut out the first three quarters but scored 27 points in the fourth.

The Nebraska defense attempts to block a Missouri extra point during their game Thursday night at Faurot Field. Missouri took the lead early, but lost the game after a series of three quick Nebraska touchdowns.

Madison Mack/Senior Staff Photographer
Theresa Berens/Graphic Designer

Missouri slips to Nebraska

Slideshow: Missouri slips to Nebraska

The Missouri Tigers suffered their first loss Thursday night against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The game was a struggle for Tiger fans in attendance, with five and a half inches of rainfall, a power outage that resulted in the loss of video on Faurot Field's new scoreboard and a final score of 27-12 with a win for Nebraska.

» View slideshow

The Missouri defense was sitting high and dry through three quarters of last night’s waterlogged affair with Nebraska.

Then the Tigers got caught in the rain.

In quick fashion, Nebraska racked up 27 unanswered points in the fourth quarter en route to stunning the Faurot Field-faithful and picking up a 27-12 win.

“Going through three quarters against a really good offensive football team, they were playing absolutely outstanding,” Pinkel said. “You have to be able to handle that sudden change and that adversity a little bit better, and I think we are capable of handling it better.”

The Cornhusker outburst was in sharp juxtaposition to their their quiet offense in the first three quarters.

Amid a constant rain, Nebraska struggled with fumbles. They lost the ball five times with Missouri recovering twice.

Nebraska was shut out and managed only 109 total yards of offense. As a result of the sputtering offense, the Cornhuskers punted eight times.

Nebraska junior quarterback Zac Lee was 9 for 27 passing for 79 yards and no Cornhusker receiver had more than 33 receiving yards.

Down 12-0 heading into the final quarter, the Cornhuskers began their comeback fast. Just more than one minute into the quarter, Lee connected with junior wide receiver Niles Paul on a 56-yard touchdown pass.

After sophomore quarterback Blaine Gabbert was intercepted on the first play of the ensuing Missouri drive, the Cornhuskers needed two plays to get back into the end zone.

Lee found Paul again, this time for a 13-yard touchdown and a 13-12 Nebraska lead.

After Gabbert was intercepted again, Nebraska notched another seven points and pulled away for the 20-12 lead.

After being shut out for the first 45 minutes of play, Nebraska pulled ahead for good in just over three minutes.

“We’re Division I football players,” senior nose tackle Jaron Baston said. “It’s our job when adversity hits to do something about it. If not the first time, the second time. If not the second time, the third time. Four times we didn’t react to it well.”

With less than a minute left, Cornhusker junior running back Roy Helu Jr. scored on a five-yard run and completed Nebraska’s offensive outburst.

“You think you put together a nice game,” senior linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said. “You go out there and are executing well on defense. All of a sudden you have a few breakdowns and give the other guys a little momentum and you see what can happen when you do that. You gotta finish the game.”

Overall, Lee completed five of six passes in the fourth quarter and doubled his previous yardage total by throwing for 79 yards.

Paul went from 33 yards receiving to 102 yards on the strength of his two touchdowns.

Baston talked about the need to finish off games in a stronger fashion.

“We preach it all the time on our team,” Baston said. “You can’t win a game in the first, second or third quarter. You can only win in the fourth.”

Oct. 9, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.

Broken Spoon: Nice punch in the back on a downed receiver, Weatherspoon. Classy all the way, as usual.

Oct. 9, 2009 at 12:10 p.m.

huskerboy: Bottom line: Missouri's still Missouri and Nebraska's still Nebraska. See you suckers later until next year's beat-down in Lincoln. Wish you all the best.

Oct. 9, 2009 at 4:01 p.m.

Husker1: Sorry Tigers, that is a rough game to loose. Long time Husker fans can sympithize. Look up Nebraska Colorado 1990. Rainy night game in Lincoln, Nebraska up 12-0 going into the 4th. CU explodes for 27. It was a tough one because Oklahoma was down and it pretty much decided the Big 8. Final score 27-12 CU. They went on to a National Championship. Same year as the 5th down.

Oct. 9, 2009 at 4:31 p.m.

Husker in MN: Well, the huskers can finally talk some smack again. Yay. Congrats on 8 good years of dominance over us, but we're quite happy to have that Missery monkey off our back. Hard fought game, very entertaining, and we wish you luck for the rest of your season.

Oct. 9, 2009 at 8:40 p.m.

Husker Fan: Husker boy is an idiot. If you are a true Husker fan you take wins the same way you take losses, with humility. Stop making Husker fans look bad.