Monday, August 21, 2017

Column: Obama should not use tax dollars for abortions

Marcus Bowen

In his inaugural address, President Barack Obama proclaimed, "All are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness." I couldn't agree more.

Shortly after uttering these words, Obama reversed one of the U.S.'s most important human rights policies. With a few strokes of the pen, he ended the chance at happiness for so many around the world.

On Jan. 23, Obama reversed a Reagan-era policy known as the Mexico City Policy. The old presidential directive instructed the U.S. Agency for International Development to prevent taxpayer dollars from funding abortions around the world. By rescinding this policy, Obama has single-handedly destroyed our nation's moral authority in the global fight against human rights abusers.

I would like nothing more than to see an end to decades of fighting and genocide in places like Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia and the Congo. But all change must begin within. In 2005, 1.3 million children were killed as a result of abortions in the U.S. Our nation will never have the moral authority to end genocide abroad before we end it at home. Before we tell other nations to stop killing their brothers and sisters, we must stop killing our children.

Obama's retraction of the Mexico City Policy, will allow international non-governmental organizations to use taxpayer dollars to fund an epic international genocide. We now know a baby's heartbeat begins just 22 days after conception. After 42 days the same baby will have detectable brain waves, a spinal column and the ability to feel pain. While still in the womb, the baby can feel pain and has developed adult taste buds. After 17 weeks in the womb, this small person will begin to dream while sleeping.

Knowing all of this, listening to the heartbeat of this small person, our president still manages to justify using our tax dollars to fund abortions around the world.

In his inaugural address, the president said, "We will restore science to its rightful place."

I earnestly hope that he will stand by this campaign pledge. For too long our nation has found it too easy to ignore the science of human life. We now know fetuses are not just appendages of their mothers but living, breathing beings. We know they eat, sleep and even dream. With all we know, it truly is time science is restored to its rightful place. It truly is time life is respected and no longer frivolously destroyed.

Last week, we all watched the Super Bowl. It was a fun game, even though my team didn't win. Everyone has heard about the banned PETA ad. Most of us, including myself, logged on to PETA's Web site to see what NBC found so objectionable. The ad wasn't great, and to this day I'm still eating meat. The PETA ad was not the only spot that NBC executives shot down.

The other ad NBC declined to show, which is still available on YouTube, didn't have any scantily clad women or suggestive language.

The ad, sponsored by CatholicVote.org, shows an ultrasound of a baby in the womb and tells the following story: "This child's future is a broken home, he will be abandoned by his father, his mother will struggle to raise him, despite the hardships he will endure, this child will become the first African-American president." The ad ends with the phrase, "Life, Imagine the Potential."

When we snuff out life, we destroy the potential for greatness. One in four children are killed in abortions. Let's end this genocide together. Imagine the potential.

Marcus Bowen is a former vice president of the MU College Republicans and currently serves with the Jackson County Republican Party. He can be reached at mbowen@themaneater.com.