Thursday, October 23, 2014

Kansas destroys Missouri with home-court advantage

The Tigers’ losing streak in Lawrence extends to 10 years.

Towering over senior forward DeMarre Carroll, Kansas center Cole Aldrich converts an alley-oop for a dunk late in the second half of Sunday's game at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan. Aldrich torched the Tigers with 19 points as the Jayhawks cruised to a 90-65 win.

Dann Wunderlich/Senior Staff Photographer

Missouri senior forward DeMarre Carroll shakes hands with Kansas players following the Tigers' 90-65 loss to the Jayhawks on Sunday at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan. Carroll had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Tigers.

Jeff Lautenberger/Senior Staff Photographer

Fans in the Kansas student section cheer as Jawhawk players take to the court prior to Saturday's matchup against MU at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan.

Missouri senior forward DeMarre Carroll blocks a shot in the face of Kansas center Cole Aldrich in the first half.

Kansas guard Sherron Collins moves around freshman guard Kim English toward the basket in the first half. Kansas led 45-19 at halftime.

Missouri freshman guard Kim English fouls Kansas forward Marcus Morris on the sideline in the first half.

Kansas center Cole Aldrich slams down a dunk in the first half. Aldrich scored 19 points for the Jayhawks.

Missouri senior forward DeMarre Carroll and Kansas guard Mario Little contest a rebound in the first half.

Missouri junior forward Keith Ramsey gets caught up in his shirt and loses the ball in the first half.

Missouri senior forward Leo Lyons and Kansas center Cole Aldrich grapple on the floor for a loose ball in the first half.

Missouri senior forward Leo Lyons finishes off a dunk in the first half. Lyons led the Tigers with 20 points.

Missouri senior forward Leo Lyons attempts a layup while defended by Kansas guard Mario Little.

Missouri freshman guard Kim English rises over Kansas guard Brady Morningstar during the second half.

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor tries to get a shot off under heavy pressure from the Missouri defense.

Missouri junior guard Zaire Taylor drives past Kansas guard Tyrell Reed in the second half.

Kansas center Markieff Morris collides with Missouri freshman guard Miguel Paul and Missouri junior forward Keith Ramsey in the second half.

Missouri junior guard J.T. Tiller defends Kansas guard Sherron Collins in the second half.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson argues a traveling call with an official in the second half.

Missouri senior forward DeMarre Carroll watches from the bench as the final seconds tick off the clock as the Tigers fall to Jayhawks 90-65 on Sunday in Lawrence, Kan.

A Kansas cheerleader dances a routine during pregame warmups.

A sellout crowd of 16,300 red and blue clad Jayhawk fans fill Allen Fieldhouse for Sunday's game against MU.

Missouri junior guard Zaire Taylor knocks down a jump shot in the first half.

Students toss torn-up scraps of newspaper into the air during player introductions prior to tipoff.

Missouri senior forward DeMarre Carroll puts the ball up over Kansas center Cole Aldrich in the second half.

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor dunks the ball over Missouri freshman guard Kim English in the second half.

Missouri junior forward Keith Ramsey drives the ball past Kansas guard Mario Little in the first half.

Missouri junior guard J.T. Tiller attempts a layup under pressure from Kansas center Cole Aldrich.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson talks to his team in the waning moments of Missouri's 90-65 loss to the Kansas on Sunday.

Missouri junior forward Keith Ramsey tosses down a dunk in the second half.

Kansas center Cole Aldrich converts an ally-oop late in the second half.

Missouri senior forward Leo Lyons walks to the locker room after the Tigers suffered their 10th straight defeat at Allen Fieldhouse on Sunday.

Megan Stroup/Graphic Designer

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- On the way back from practice to the team’s hotel Saturday, the bus carrying the Missouri men’s basketball team was involved in a multiple car accident outside Overland Park, Kan.

Call it an accident or simply call it a crash, but either way, it could have been a metaphor for the weekend.

The No. 8 Tigers walked into Allen Fieldhouse for Sunday’s nationally televised game against the No. 15 Kansas Jayhawks with their Big 12 destiny in hand, but left with no such claim after a 90-65 rout.

“It was their day today,” coach Mike Anderson said.

On Feb. 9 in Columbia, the Tigers (25-5, 11-3 Big 12) played “a horrible game,” senior forward Leo Lyons said, and still managed to come out with an epic 62-60 win. Missouri survived a horrid first half that ended with Kansas leading 30-16.

Sunday in Lawrence, the Tigers couldn’t repeat the feat. Missouri’s offense was dormant and Kansas (24-5, 13-1) drained field goals at will in the first half, as the Jayhawks used a 14-0 run to storm out to a 45-19 halftime lead.

“That’s the best half of basketball we’ve seen here in 11 months since Carolina,” said Kansas coach Bill Self, referencing the first half of Kansas’ 84-66 win against North Carolina in the 2008 NCAA Tournament semifinals.

Kansas’ bench players outscored Missouri’s bench, which is generally regarded as one of Missouri’s strengths, 15-0 in the first half.

In fact, only three Tigers, junior J.T. Tiller and seniors Lyons and DeMarre Carroll, scored for Missouri in the half. Kansas’ bench outscored the Missouri bench 25-6 for the game.

“Our bench isn’t perfect,” Lyons said. “They had a lot of confidence coming into the game, but they met their master today.”

Kansas shot 56 percent from the field and 57 percent from 3-point range. Missouri shot 36 percent from the field and 18 percent from deep. Carroll said the numbers were a reflection of the Tigers’ shot selection.

“We took too many jumpers. We were living and dying by the jump shot,” Carroll said. “We didn’t get to the goal and attack.”

All season long, Missouri players reiterated the team’s high-pressure defense was the spark plug for its offense. Missouri’s ability to turn steals into counter attacks has generally resulted in a Missouri advantage in fast break points.

Kansas outscored Missouri on the fast break 18-6, including 11 fast break points to Missouri’s zero in the first half.

“They were pushing the ball right back down our throats,” Lyons said. “That’s normally what we want to do to teams, and they did it to us.”

Although Missouri was far stronger offensively in the second half, the game still degenerated into a highlight reel of jumpers by KU junior Sherron Collins and alley-oops by sophomore Cole Aldrich.

With 1:51 left in the game, Self made wholesale substitutions, giving his little-used players a chance to play and his crowd a chance to begin the “Rock Chalk, Jayhawk” chant.

The loss pushed Missouri’s winless streak in Lawrence to 10 years. Missouri returns to action Wednesday, when the Tigers face the Oklahoma Sooners at Mizzou Arena.