Sunday, September 21, 2014

Former MU football player arrested for burglaries

The MU football team dismissed the man after a string of arrests in 2008.

Former MU and Rock Bridge High School football player John Stull was arrested early Thursday morning after police said he broke into various homes and vehicles in Columbia.

Stull, 21, was charged with two counts of first-degree burglary, two counts of felony theft and two counts of misdemeanor theft, a Boone County Sheriff's Department news release stated.

The burglaries occurred between midnight and 6 a.m. Thursday in the 5800 block of Oakland Gravel Road, the 6000 block of Teresa Drive and the 5100 block of Gregory Drive, Boone County Sheriff's Department Maj. Tom Reddin said.

Reddin said the locations of the incidents were unusual because Stull lives at 1455 Sonora Drive in Columbia, the opposite end of town.

"What he was doing along this side of town made him very suspicious and accountable for the crimes," Reddin said.

He also broke into several cars in the area, Reddin said.

"Some of the items he stole included fishing gear, a backpack, a computer thumb drive, mints stolen the 5800 block of Oakland Gravel Drive and other various items found in his vehicle," Reddin said.

Reddin also said around the same time the crime was reported to the Boone County Police, the Columbia Police Department responded to a call about a burglary in the 5000 block of Commercial Drive. CPD arrested Stull during this call.

"We received word from CPD about a man who was apprehended by their police department for burglary and we put the clues together and determined he was the culprit of the other burglaries," Reddin said.

All of the stolen items were returned to the victims. Both departments said they suspected Stull was going to sell the stolen items and use that money to leave the state.

"We believe his intent was to go to school in another state with the money he was getting for the items," Reddin said.

Stull was a three-star athlete coming out of Rock Bridge High School in 2006, according to Rivals.com.

He was recruited by MU to play football, where he recorded nine tackles in 12 career games, according to the MU football team's Web site.

The team dismissed him in January 2008 after a string of arrests, Reddin said.

He was in custody at time of press with bond set at $60,000, according to the news release.