Monday, October 20, 2014

Missouri club water polo winless in tournament

Missouri hosted eight teams in the weekend tournament.

Missouri hosted a water polo club tournament Saturday and Sunday at the Mizzou Aquatic Center.

The Tigers went 0-4 in the tournament, playing two games each day. Eight schools competed in the tournament.

Missouri team captain sophomore Joseph Trad, who is also the coach and captain of the club, said he was very pleased with how the tournament operated and said it went very smoothly.

"The pool staff was outstanding," he said. "Everything was great, very efficient."

In the first game Saturday, the Tigers got off to a rough start against the Lindenwood University B team, falling behind 4-0 in the first quarter. Good defense held Lindenwood to just four goals over the next three quarters, but there wasn't enough offense to garner a win, as Lindenwood earned an 8-5 victory.

Later that day, Missouri was faced with the challenge of trying to bounce back against the Lindenwood A team.

After again trailing 4-0 at the close of the first quarter, the Tigers showed some resiliency with sophomore Chris Frimel scoring all three of the team's goals in the second quarter to pull to within three goals of their opponent.

Frimel, who had been feeling sick all weekend, said it felt good to be able to compete with a team of that talent level.

Unfortunately for Frimel and Missouri, Lindenwood scored four unanswered goals to end the half, and dominated the rest of the game to gain a 15-5 victory.

On Sunday morning, Missouri once again got off to a bad start. Playing against Miami University in Ohio, the Tigers had two early goals from Trad, but struggled through the first three quarters of play to a 10-3 score. But once again, they didn't give up when the game seemed lost, scoring four fourth-quarter goals. The game ended in a 12-7 loss.

The Tigers entered their final game Sunday afternoon against St. Louis University still looking for a victory in the tournament.

Sophomore goalie Jim Bowers said in order to win they would have to out-swim the other team, and not allow them to get fast breaks and easy goals.

In the first minute, Kimmel was able to do what no Tiger had been able to do and score the first goal of the game. But Missouri was not able to do what Bowers wanted and struggled on defense the entire game. Kimmel had two goals in the 16-7 loss.

Trad said the team would be able to bounce back as the season progresses. He said they will play different teams with a smaller, more selective roster in which the best players get more playing time.