Monday, March 27, 2017

Slippy LaRue to release first official album Friday

The band plans to transition from local jam band to aspiring tourers.

Spencer Pearson/Graphic Designer

It has been almost two years since Slippy LaRue first captured Columbia with its dance, up-tempo trance rhythm. Now, the beloved band is set to release its first official album, Sands, Friday at Mojo’s.

But the excitement is mingled with relief and a desire to move on, keyboardist and junior Ryan Curtis said.

“We put a lot of time into it and, at the time, we were proud of the songs,” Curtis said. Curtis is a former Maneater staff member. “We still are, but now we can move on instead of being stuck on trying to get this done. We’ve already started writing new music.”

The album consists of six purely instrumental tracks, many of which have become fan favorites since Slippy LaRue recorded them in April.

For guitarist and alumnus Andy Launder, the enthusiasm surrounding the show stems from the ability to finally have a tested, tangible product to send home with fans.

“Some of these songs are a year, year and a half old,” Launder said. “The idea was to go out and play as many shows as we can. So we toured to test these songs out on the road and see what people like. It’s really easy to tell in a live show what works and what doesn’t. You get a first-hand response.”

Fans can expect the songs they’ve come to love, but in a new medium, Launder said. Effects and new equipment that can’t be produced live, such as added synthesizer, are featured in the CD.

Bassist and alumnus Brandon Sanborn said he expects the performance to be the culmination of a year of hard work, despite the changes the band has undergone in the previous months.

“We’ve added some new effects and sounds onto the recording,” Sanborn said. “We even thought about bringing it back to the studio, but then thought we might as well put it out now because it’s still really good work. We’ve been hyping it up to all our friends and fans so hopefully we’ll get a lot of exposure.”

Although Slippy LaRue first gained audiences because of its high-energy party music, Sanborn said the band might be heading in a slightly different direction.

“I’ve always been into our upbeat trance music, but what we’re doing now has a little more of an ambient vibe,” Sanborn said. “I think its great because at any point in the song we can still get into a jam rhythm like I like to play.”

Slippy LaRue will play again at Mojo’s on Halloween night, along with Spankalicious and Messy Jiverson. After these shows, the band might soon be saying farewell to Columbia, if only for brief time.

“We’ve accomplished our goals for Columbia,” Launder said. “We’ve played The Blue Note headlining show, packed Mojo’s, won Battle of the Bands and gotten to open for pretty famous national bands. It’s easy to say we want to move on, but we love what Columbia’s done for us. As a musician you want to get your music everywhere, so we definitely want to tour. Touring is the most exciting moment as a band. That would be a good goal to shoot for.”