Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campaigning privileges revoked for Travis-Horan

The action does not affect the slate's standing on the MSA presidential ballot.

Campaigning privileges for the Travis-Horan Missouri Students Association presidential slate were revoked Tuesday by MSA’s Board of Elections Commissioners. As another result of the disciplinary action, the Elect Travis-Horan website and Facebook page will no longer be available for view.

Revoked campaigning privileges do not affect the slate's standing on the MSA presidential ballot.

The BEC issued MSA presidential and vice presidential candidates Josh Travis and Michelle Horan an intentional infraction for campaigning through mass e-mails using university accounts, BEC Chairman Jake Sloan said.

A mass e-mail campaigning for Travis-Horan was sent to students enrolled in various MU courses through Blackboard on Monday afternoon.

The e-mail, which was signed “Sincerely, Michelle Horan,” contained the following message: “MSA presidential elections start Monday Nov. 8 at 6 p.m. and end Wednesday the 10 at 6 p.m. You may have seen support all over Facebook, media outlets, Greek town and campus buildings endorsing Travis-Horan. This is because they have the most MSA experience out of any of the candidates and have built strong coalition with leaders across campus.”

The e-mail then encouraged recipients to visit the Travis-Horan website and Facebook page for more information.

According to the BEC handbook, upon the first intentional infraction all campaigning privileges must be suspended for one week.

Sloan said the first infraction was submitted before the election was set to begin and postponing the election was the best decision for the slates and the students.

Sloan also said there were three approaches the BEC could have used to handle this situation.

“We could have done nothing and let the election continue, but that would be unfair to the students and the slates,” he said. “We could have removed Travis-Horan from the ballot, but we did not want to make a hasty or wrong decision.”

The BEC could also postpone the election and give an intentional infraction to the Travis-Horan slate, which was the choice the BEC made, Sloan said.

“We would rather make a rash and immediate decision to postpone the election and then allow us to have time to work on the infractions,” Sloan said

The Travis-Horan slate chose to petition the Student Court regarding the intentional infraction, Sloan said.

“We petitioned on the basis that no campaign laws were broken,” Travis said. “It’s that simple.”

Travis said this infraction is of poor judgment of the BEC. Travis also said that shady and dishonorable talks have taken place in back rooms that his slate has not been asked by the BEC to comment on.

The Student Court has asked Travis-Horan and the BEC to submit briefs by 5 p.m. Wednesday.

“Both parties are to submit briefs tomorrow,” Student Court Supreme Justice Lischen Reeves said. “The court will review the briefs and decide if they would like to hear an oral protest from each party.”

The court does not know when a final decision will be made regarding the infraction, but time is of the essence, Reeves said.

A second intentional infraction may be issued to the Travis-Horan slate, Sloan said.

The BEC has been working on writing the second infraction for 14 to 16 hours. Sloan said the second infraction is very complicated and difficult to make clear at this point in time.

Reeves said the court does not know what the second infraction entails and will not know until the briefs are submitted at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Online voting for the MSA presidential election will begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 15 at vote.missouri.edu.

Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:27 a.m.

Andrew: Is this real life??? Seriously people, this is just discouraging students from voting. It is accomplishing nothing to delay this vote. It seems to me that what's happening here is that someone waited until the last minute to try to oust Travis-Horan. Both of them are intelligent people, and I find it extremely unlikely either of them would knowingly break campaigning rules. Especially since the BEC already came to a solution and the court likely will quickly rule as well, it is just ridiculous to postpone the election. I have absolutely no doubt this will negatively affect the final outcome of the election. Shame on you, BEC.

Nov. 10, 2010 at 10:01 a.m.

concernedgreektiger: It is failed to mention here, but I heard what ACTUALLY happened was Horan sent the email to her friends so they wouldn't have to take time to create it themselves, and THEY sent it out to their friends in classes. This is all a ridiculous power trip in my opinion and a shame that the entire election had to be postponed so a few people can feel they have authority.

Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

Wait: I didn't know people actually voted in these things. Seems like a waste of time to me. Oh wait, it's a greek life thing. http://www.thisisjuststupid.com/

Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:33 p.m.

Landon: This is a joke, obviously she is just listing one thing that may have the upper hand on Travis-Horan. Ok, well they may have more MSA experience but it was pure leading. I for one set in on the debate some time ago and must say that everyone should go visit each candidates issues here. I think it is a joke that someone would use a student class email to push not their agenda, but a stupid stance that almost means nothing. There definately should be some sort of sanctions. Last but not least, why would someone send out this type of email to her friends to send to their classes? Do you think you deserve President and Vice President solely because you have been in MSA longer? Please I beg of you, if that is your reasoning, to stop and reassess what the job of the MSA President and VP is and why you should make decisions for our campus and not MSA!