Thursday, September 18, 2014

MU offers students travel options to Insight Bowl

The bowl game is Dec. 28.

Dec. 15, 2010

Buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride to Tempe, Ariz., for the Insight Bowl.

The Department of Student Life has organized a bus trip for MU students to attend the Mizzou vs. Iowa showdown in the 2010 Insight Bowl on Dec. 28.

There are 100 spaces available for $99 a piece. The price includes a bowl ticket, bus transportation to the game and four nights in hotels. The hotel stays will include two nights in Tempe, Ariz. and two on the road.

The Athletics Department, Student Life, Division of Student Affairs, Mizzou Alumni Association and individual alumni donors are sponsoring the trip.

“The bowl game was announced Sunday, so we moved forward as fast as we could to get all of our ducks in a row to put it on sale,” Assistant Director of Campus Activities Kathy Murray said.

Murray said a ticket to the game on its own would cost more than $60.

Students are allowed to buy tickets for two non-MU friends. The trip will depart around noon Dec. 26 and return to Columbia the night of Dec. 30.

To sign up for the event, students can visit the MSA/GPC Box Office in the MU Student Center.

This announcement comes as part of several new changes to the athletic department this year in order to promote student involvement.

“One thing we absolutely believe in is giving our students a voice because students do such a wonderful job of adding to the game day atmosphere, and quite frankly they are our customers of the future,” Executive Associate Athletics Director Whit Babcock said.

The Athletics Department is working directly through Missouri Students Association President Tim Noce and the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee to adjust its ticket pricing and policies.

“We have not yet decided our pricing next year,” Babcock said. “We always try to be aware with our student constituents that pricing is important, so we’ve kept it flat the last couple years, but that is something we will look at when it comes to the springtime.”

Babcock said the Athletics Department values student involvement at sporting events and is working to keep this involvement high.

“What they’re really trying to do is find a way to keep the system the way it’s going right now,” Noce said.

Noce lauded the efforts for student involvement in athletics at MU, adding that the student section at Faurot Field is one of the largest student sections he has observed.

MSA worked with the Athletics Department to ensure the success of programs such as Tiger’s Lair and Zou Crew again this year. There were also changes made to pep rallies, such as the one at the football game against Illinois in September.

“We wanted to make sure they were geared toward students,” Noce said. “For instance, the Illinois game this year was pretty successful and I think it was because food and drink prices were cheaper at the tailgate than they were in the stadium, and they’re usually about the same price.”

Another notable change to athletics this year is distribution for student tickets to men’s basketball games.

“Athletics was working with us and the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee just to make it so students wouldn’t necessarily have to miss class as they were waiting in line for tickets,” Noce said.

One adjustment to this year’s distributions was beginning at 7 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. Another change being discussed is moving distribution to Saturdays.

“The whole idea is to get the people who are the most die hard fans tickets,” Noce said.

Noce said one of his biggest goals for the year was to see athletics to tailor its programs to students more.

“Students are going to be the alumni and donors of the future,” Noce said. “It’s a really good time to be a Mizzou tiger fan nationwide, and the university should be able to cling onto that, to make that part of what it means to be a student here.”