Monday, March 27, 2017

Chiddy Bang welcomes growing audience

The hip-hop group will perform at The Blue Note on Wednesday.

Dec. 7, 2010

Members of the electro hip-hop group Chiddy Bang met in college, where they started their careers performing in dorms until they made it to the big stage.

The Philadelphia-based group has always known music was its chosen career.

“I mean, when I was two I wanted to be a train conductor but other than that, I knew I wanted to do music,” Chiddy Bang member Noah “Xaphoon Jones” Beresin said.

Xaphoon crafts the beats, with Chidera “Chiddy” Anamege writing lyrics and raps. The two met at Drexel University, where they decided a chance to have a successful music career was worth a risk.

“He was my neighbor, and we started making tunes and dropped out of school,” Beresin said.

The young group has had a lot of success, including a BET Award nomination and a blog mention by rapper Kanye West.

“It was very surreal,” Beresin said about hearing about the blog mention. “It was so surreal in fact that when people told us it happened we didn’t actually believe them. We had to have at least 10 of our friends verify that it was true.”

Chiddy Bang’s formula for songs is unique in the sense that the band samples tunes from other artists and make them its own.

“We’re still learning, we’re very young, but the process that we go by is I make the beats and he makes the lyrics and then we record it and I usually engineer it, mix and master it, and there’s the song,” he said. “We’re working with more people and learning a bit more every day, but for now that’s the formula.”

The alternative hip-hop group is definitely making progress, with songs mentioned in video games and the single “Opposite of Adults” sweeping the country.

Touring is now a pretty large part of the band’s life, and its youthful and humble beginnings keep it grateful for the opportunities it receives.

“My favorite part of touring has to be traveling,” Beresin said. “We’ve been to so many amazing places that I can easily say I would never have seen until at least after college, and to be able to see them is amazing.”

The band is working on its first full-length album.

“We’re still writing it, and we really don’t know when it will be done, but my goal is early 2011,” Beresin said.

Chiddy Bang is adjusting to its newfound place in the music industry.

“It’s very strange coming from a very alternative college place and suddenly being put in a place with very dominant pop stars,” Beresin said. “So that’s still kind of where we’re at right now is trying to figure out where we are in the world and stuff at large.”

Chiddy Bang will perform at 8 p.m. Wednesday at The Blue Note.