Thursday, October 23, 2014

New apartment building planned for downtown

The new building will be nestled downtown.

The new apartment building planned for the corner of Tenth and Locust streets includes 16 four-bedroom apartments. Developer Jon Odle said the new apartments would appeal to students because of their proximity to campus.

Courtesy of Jon Odle

A new four-story apartment building will fill the cleared lot at the corner of Tenth and Locust streets. The Columbia Protective Inspection Division received plans for the new building last week.

According to the plans submitted, the four-story building will have 16 two-level apartments in three buildings connected by breezeways. The first level will have one bedroom, a kitchen and living and dining rooms. The second floor will have three bedrooms and three bathrooms.

"It'll be a pretty nice deal, stainless steel with black granite countertops, lots of tile throughout the kitchens and bathrooms and upgraded trim from what most rentals have," developer Jon Odle said. "But the major amenity is going to be living downtown."

Odle, who also developed Brookside Townhomes, said future residents of 120 S. Tenth Street would likely enjoy some of the same benefits as residents at Brookside, including special trips.

"I think residents at this building will be able to enjoy some of the benefit that our other residents get to enjoy down at Brookside because it will be a sister property, only downtown," Odle said. "They won't need to ride the bus per se, because they're already downtown, but we do other things like we go to Cardinal's games in the summer."

Although most housing complexes in Columbia are in the middle of recruiting new residents, Odle said they are going to "play it by ear."

"We're pretty confident we're going to offer something that's not out there right now. So, we feel like the demand will be there," Odle said. "A lot of people are assuming it's only student, and I'm sure it will appeal to them since Hitt Street garage is a block away, but anyone can live here."

The original plan for the site included Tax Increment Financing that would have included building a grocery store below the apartments.

"In order to qualify for a TIF, you have to develop a mixed-use building that has a rebuilt commercial component," Odle said. "Due to the economy, we didn't feel comfortable having that commercial component included anymore, so therefore the project went private."

TIF, according to previous Maneater articles, is a method in which cities subsidize a development by giving their owners back a percentage of the new tax revenue they generates.

First Ward Councilman Paul Sturtz, who represents the downtown area, said the project has some good and bad points.

"I voted for the TIF project, and I thought that it had a lot of public good," Sturtz said. "I guess I'm disappointed, but certainly the way they're proceeding with getting a fair amount of apartments downtown, that's going to be a good thing."

Sturtz said he for any businesses downtown, it could only be a good thing to have more people walking around.

"I think very clearly the biggest boost for downtown is to have more residential options," Sturtz said.

The owner of Hitt Street Mini Mart, Pritesh Patel, said he hopes his business would benefit from neighboring the new apartment building.

"It's good, it's good for me, good for downtown and good for college students who want to live downtown," Patel said. "It's good for my business too, people living there I hope will come here."

More information about pricing, floor plans and amenities will be available Wednesday, Feb. 17, at the Off-Campus Housing Fair.

Feb. 11, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.

Amber Newman: I am a little confused? So it's not affiliated with Brookside? Is there anymore details?