Thursday, September 21, 2017

SMKA another hit from Atlanta

SMKA worked with many artists to produce __The 808 Experiment Vol. 2__.

It's evident Atlanta has been the hip-hop capital of the world for the past few years, producing artists, such as Ludacris, T.I. and not to mention the "lean wit it, rock wit it" phenomenon that had everyone snapping and swinging all over the place. If you look beyond the spinning rims and big chains most of Southern rap has to offer, you would probably land on production trio SMKA.

Blending melodious samples of every type of every kind of music from funk to jazz and everywhere in between has become the signature sound for this production team. Its sophomore mixtape, The 808 Experiment Vol. 2 is a clever combination of songs and instrumentals rapped over by some of Atlanta's rising stars.

The mixtape has its highs and lows, kicking off with the bass-heavy "The Make Believer" by Tanya Morgan, which starts the tape on a good note. But slowly, the tape ventures off into some sort of indie rock/soul mood that might have its listeners wondering what went wrong. It quickly regains its speed toward the end with favorite "P.O.N.," in which Nappy Roots member Fish Scales rhymes, "You live and you learn, fast life pump the brakes/Last night's not today and right now's not tomorrow/Living for the moment then your time's already borrowed."

SMKA's compilation might not boast the star power of many of today's biggest artists but makes up for it with quality up-and-coming rappers including Aleon Craft, Proton and Alabama's Yelawolf. The massive lineup of high-quality artists raises the bar for the Atlanta hip-hop scene and should do great things for the careers of the many who worked on this project.

It can be downloaded for free at SMKA's Web site.