Saturday, October 21, 2017

RAMS exceeds last years' projection

More than $78,000 was raised in support for the MS Institute and patients.

RAMS Finalists

The following finalists (in no particular order) advanced from prelims held Feb. 15 and Feb. 16:

Fraternities
Phi Kappa Theta
Sigma Phi Epsilon
FarmHouse
Pi Kappa Alpha
Beta Theta Pi
Delta Tau Delta
Delta Chi
Kappa Alpha Order
Pi Kappa Phi

Sororities
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Gamma Phi Beta
Delta Gamma
Phi Mu
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi

In-Between Acts
The Baboons
FarmHouse
What Machines Were
Beta Theta Pi

Source: RAMS Tri Directors

After a month of fundraising, the Rockin' Against Multiple Sclerosis philanthropy closed with the final Rock-It Lip Syncing competition Feb. 19 at The Blue Note.

All proceeds of RAMS go to the MS Institute, which helps patients with MS throughout mid-Missouri. Last year, RAMS raised more than $73,000; this year it raised more than $78,000.

The competition featured each team in the RAMS competition putting on a short performance, which required a medley of songs and lip-syncing. Rock-It counted toward the teams' overall score, which also included the revenue made at Cup Night, T-shirt sales, comedy night and Jail-N-Bail, which were all held earlier in the month.

The Rock-It competition is broken up into winners of the sororities, fraternities and interest groups. Lip-syncing to a medley of songs from "Dreamgirls," Kappa Alpha Theta won along with Pi Kappa Alpha's compilation of hits of various decades. Alpha Phi and Pi Kappa Theta were both second place winners, with Delta Tau Delta and Phi Mu as third place winners. The interest group winner of the competition was Delta Sigma Pi.

"We came up with idea just by thinking of songs that we liked that were easy to lip-sync to," Pi Kappa Alpha Rock-It Leader Chris Hoevel said. "Then, we realized they were all from different decades, so it kind of just happened because of the song choice. It was awesome to win for the fourth year in a row, especially since it was the first time for some of the younger guys, and it was great to carry on the torch."

Other themes for the night included a “Glee” mash up, a medley of “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” a "Greektown Mixtape," the evolution of JT and Battle of the Boy Bands, along with other performances.

"Dancing with RAMS is so much fun because you get to spend extra time with your sisters while helping a great cause," Delta Gamma President Amanda Klohmann said. "It was great to see all our hard work pay off."

Delta Gamma and FarmHouse were the overall winners of RAMS with the most points earned. Points could be earned through several outlets, such as amount of money raised, banners, number of volunteers at each event and tickets sold to comedy night and Rock-It.

"It was very successful, especially with the concern people have had about money with everything going on economically, but we raised more money than last year and money will continue to come in from sponsors and such," RAMS tri-Director Mita Patel said. "We also had a record number of participants this year, so that was a big part of our success."