Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Pikestock raises money for Special Olympics

Pi Kappa Alpha expects to donate $12,000 to Special Olympics Missouri.

The Delta Gamma sorority house displays a flag in support of Pi Kappa Alpha's philanthropy week, Pikestock. Earnings from this year's events will benefit the Special Olympics.

Mariah Hibbard/Staff Photographer

Pikestock, the largest event of Pi Kappa Alpha's philanthropy, took place Sunday.

Pikestock was a day-long elimination volleyball tournament that took place in the backyard of Pi Kappa Alpha's house. The event also featured a live band, contests and raffle giveaways, which it had in past years.

Twelve sororities participated in the event. At an intermission, participants of the Special Olympics Missouri came to play games of their own.

"Despite the weather and how cold it was, we had a good turnout, a lot of sororities," said Michael Coldiron, Pi Kappa Alpha Internal vice president.

All Pikestock's earnings will be donated to the Special Olympics Missouri this year. Coldiron said the fraternity members had not yet calculated the final amount of money raised but they are expecting to raise between $10,000 and $12,000.

The organization provides sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with mental disabilities, according to the Special Olympics Missouri Web site. Through these activities, they develop fitness, courage, skills and friendships.

Pi Kappa Alpha is affiliated with Special Olympics Missouri through community service.

"We have a lot of members who do volunteer work with the Special Olympics," Coldiron said.

In previous years, Pi Kappa Alpha has donated to the Brian Schlittler Memorial Fund and the Brian "Soupy" Campbell Foundation.

"Overall, we've raised $38,000 combined in the last three years, so that's a little over $12,000 a year," sophomore Pi Kappa Alpha member Michael Kelley said.

Kelley said Pi Kappa Alpha would like to keep on this path and see at least $12,000 this year go to Special Olympics Missouri.

Part of Pikestock's donations comes from the fraternity members' relatives. Money also comes from sororities participating in Pikestock's volleyball tournament. Each sorority team has to pay to participate in the tournament.

"We have a long laundry list of sponsors, about 17 or 18," Kelley said.

Red Bull and Upper Crust Bakery and Café sponsored the event, providing refreshments for the volleyball tournament. The fraternity members' families helped with events as well.

Pikestock has the largest sorority participation in philanthropies of any fraternity on campus.

"Sororities vote on and rank which fraternities' philanthropy they want to participate in," freshman Pi Beta Phi member Ali Burgoon said.

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity has approximately 150 men, and Coldiron said there were approximately 120 sorority women participating Sunday.

Burgoons said Pi Beta Phi had four or five teams at Pikestock.

Members who organized Pikestock in past years were seniors who have since graduated, so all the planning was left in the younger members' hands. Kelley said they were surprised at how well they handled it and managed to get everything together in time.

April 1, 2010 at 7:55 p.m.

Richard Sommer: Pikestock has been a tradition at AN for a number of years. The guys really get behind the effort and continue to produce great results. Our community strongly supports the Special Olympics and it in especially nice to see PiKA successfully sponsor an event for a good cause with such high visability.