LBC impacts audience at ACTS Concert

Religious performances included miming, dance and spoken word.

Performers and guests tack cards with their personal sins onto a cross as a form of confession Saturday night in Memorial Union. The Legion of Black Collegians, Missouri Impact and the LBC Gospel Choir participated in the event.

Robert Swain/Staff Photographer

As people bowed their heads to pray, calmness filled the room.

The Legion of Black Collegians, along with the Impact Movement, His Life and the LBC Gospel Choir, held a number of moving performances as part of their ACTS Concert on Saturday night at Memorial Union.

ACTS, which means Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication, was the motto of the night.

From miming, spoken word and gospel dancing to an open floor for discussing issues and open confession, each performance was more touching than the next.

The first routine was a young woman dressed in all black, except for her ghostly white painted face, miming. She threw herself across the room displaying the troubling and uplifting moments in life. At one point, the performer simply lay on the floor, looking lifeless until something invisible stirred her and lifted her. The performance ended with the performer holding her head high, a smile stretching widely across her face.

Junior Brittney Butler performed a spoken word piece called "Confession is Repentance," which used rhythmic elements to explain how Christian practices of confession and repentance are the same thing.

"I usually mime, but they asked me to do the spoken word because they thought I would be more real," Butler said. "If I am moved by it, then I know it at least has affected one person."

The performances paused as a large wooden cross was placed center stage for anyone to tack a card with his or her personal sins to it. This symbolized confession, which was a major part of the night.

The LBC Gospel Choir sang a plethora of touching songs that moved the night into an emotional spiral that affected the audience in many ways.

His Life, a dance ministry that uses the art of dance instead of words to present its message, preached Christianity through dance.

The group is not a typical ministry. By coupling its performances with dancing, it keeps an open mind and tries to reach people of all religious beliefs or disbelief, not just Christians.

His Life dancer and freshman Anitra Washington has been dancing her whole life and said she considers this talent a gift from God.

"People think we are in a box because we only do gospel dancing, but we talk to everyone," Washington said.

The prominent goal of the night was connecting religious practices with the message all the organizations were trying to make: Christianity is about living, action and movement.