Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Paperclips latch onto the Midwest

The band got its start in Warrensburg.

The Paperclips sing 'Sunshine' on Saturday at the Tin Can Tavern and Grille. The Paperclips are based out of Kansas City and will be touring the state into April.

Youngrae Kim/Senior Staff Photographer

The Paperclips claim their roots are in the "muddy Mississippi," but the truth is this band is as Missouri as it gets. It is to Kansas City what The White Stripes is to Detroit: genuine homegrown blues. The Paperclips' gritty blues-rock might reflect the spirit of the Mississippi Delta, but local roots will forever tie the band to the Show Me State.

Formed around two years ago while attending University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, it seems like the three-man band hasn't stopped working since.

Front man and songwriter Jake Briscoe said he's written songs all his life but only found his talent when he started playing guitar at age 13. As a music tech major at UCM, he recorded and released the band's debut, The Story, with band mates Chris Evans and Nate Caywood last year. Since then, they've recorded an EP, Please Tell Your Loved Ones..., and have been touring the Midwest.

Some of the band members' influences are Tom Waits, Led Zeppelin and James Brown to name a few.

"I don't really care for any music that's going on right now, at least mainstream," Briscoe said. "There is a lot of good stuff going on, but you have to do your own research, and that's more rewarding anyways."

Briscoe said he didn't really care about breaking into huge music scenes in New York and California.

"We don't give a shit about those places," Briscoe said. "We stick around the Midwest because that's where people care about us."

The group members said they pride themselves on their live show. They'll play wherever there are people to listen.

"The best thing about our band is our live show," Briscoe said.

Briscoe went on to say they would play house parties or wherever they get paid to do what they really want, which is play music.

"Playing music is what's important to us; it doesn't matter where it is," drummer Evans said.

Evans didn't seem comfortable comparing his music to other artists.

"We're not good at speaking for our music because we let the music speak for itself," Evans said.

The group's loud guitar rock says it all. It forces the listener to pay attention.

So keep an eye out for these up and coming blues rockers; they'll probably be back in Columbia soon enough.