Monday, October 16, 2017

Washington arrested on sexual assault charges

Four Tigers football players have been arrested this month.

Missouri Tigers tailback Derrick Washington evades the Nevada defense during a game Sept. 13, 2008. Washington turned himself in to the Boone County Jail at about 2 p.m. Monday and was released later that afternoon after posting $4,500 bond.

Maneater File Photo

Boone County Prosecutors charged Missouri Tigers senior tailback Derrick Washington with felony sexual assault Tuesday, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Andrea Hayes said.

During an interview with The Maneater on Monday morning, Hayes said she filed the paperwork for the charge earlier that day.

According to the Missouri Revised Statutes, deviate sexual assault is a class C felony and is defined as a person having deviate sexual intercourse with someone without the other person’s consent.

An officer at the Boone County Jail, who wished to remain anonymous, said Washington turned himself in at about 2 p.m. Monday. He was later released after posting $4,500 bond.

On June 22, a temporary order of protection was issued against Washington, Boone County Circuit Court Clerk Latoya Gatewood said. A judge dismissed the order after the parties involved in the case failed to appear in court on July 21.

Washington was not aware the victim was seeking an order of protection, the firm representing him, Holder, Susan and Slusher, said in a news release.

The alleged assault took place June 19 at Campus View Apartments. The MU Police Department’s daily incident log shows a report of second-degree trespassing and deviate sexual assault on that date.

Washington, a team captain, has led the Tigers in rushing the past two seasons. Coach Gary Pinkel acknowledged the loss in a press conference on Monday.

“Derrick was charged this afternoon, and according to university athletic department policy he will be indefinitely suspended,” Pinkel said. “It’s a very serious matter, a serious subject, and we’re going to let the process take its course.”

Washington rushed for 865 yards and scored 10 touchdowns last season, helping lead the Tigers to an 8-5 record on the season. Sophomore Kendial Lawrence and redshirt junior De’Vion Moore, the two tailbacks looking to replace Washington, combined for only 477 yards and one touchdown last season. Washington's numbers are much better, but Pinkel seemed confident when speaking of replacing the senior tailback.

“I don’t think (replacing Washington) is real important,” Pinkel said. “We have Kendial Lawrence, who’s doing a great job, and De’Vion Moore. I think when the dust settles, they are excited about the opportunity and also feel responsibility and accountability for their team. They want to produce to help their team.”

Washington’s arrest marks the latest in a series of legal cases plaguing the football team. On Sunday, junior backup tight end and long snapper Beau Brinkley was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, a spokeswoman for the Missouri State Highway Patrol said. Brinkley is the third member of the football program to be arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in August.

While concerns have been raised about team disciplinary systems in light of the multiple off-the-field issues in the past month, Pinkel insisted that the disciplinary system in place works.

“We’ve done a good job of building a reputation for running a first class discipline program, so I’m embarrassed that we’ve taken a few of these hits,” Pinkel said. “The system works, we just had some mistakes, and I’m responsible for that.”