Friday, July 25, 2014

Abortions to resume within month, clinic says

One clinic in St. Louis now serves the entire state.

Ashley Lane/Graphic Designer

The Columbia Planned Parenthood clinic has stopped providing abortions, but its leader says the service has only been stopped temporarily.

“It’s not that we are no longer providing abortions in Columbia,” said Peter Brownlie, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri. “We utilize physicians as they are available, and we happen to be at a point that the physicians in Columbia aren’t currently available due to scheduling issues.”

The temporary halt of abortion services in Columbia leaves St. Louis as the only city in Missouri where an abortion can be legally obtained. Brownlie acknowledged that that would inconvenience some women.

“It’s unfortunate, because those who wish to obtain an abortion will have to travel larger distances,” Brownlie said. “It’s regrettable and will create a challenge for folks.”

Despite rumors of a possibly prolonged absence of abortion services in Columbia, Brownlie remained optimistic that abortions would be offered again in the near future.

“We’re working with the doctors, and I’m hopeful we will (provide abortions) by the end of the month, if not sooner,” Brownlie said.

A new state law that requires women receiving an abortion to be informed of the fetus' ability to feel pain and to be given the option to view an ultrasound has nothing to do with the suspension of abortions in Columbia, according to Pamela Sumners, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri.

“I don’t think it has anything to do with the recently passed law,” Sumners said. “I would take Planned Parenthood at its word.”

Sumners also expressed optimism that Planned Parenthood would continue the service of providing abortions as soon as possible.

“Planned Parenthood has said this is merely temporary and will get the problem corrected." Sumners stated. "Seems to me that if that’s what they said, that’s what they meant.”

Officials at the MU Student Health Center were unaware of Planned Parenthood’s temporary discontinuance of abortion services, but SHC spokeswoman Pamela Roe said the lack of services would not change the care or information the center provides for students.

“Being a university facility, we stay very unbiased and present information to students and give them resources,” Roe said. “Whether they are or not still offering services, no matter the situation, we will still give our patients the same care.”

Bronwlie expressed concern for the women inconvenienced by Planned Parenthood’s suspension of abortion services until further notice and said that providing options for them was the main priority.

“We’re more concerned about the impact it has on women wishing to obtain abortions than the impact on Planned Parenthood,” Brownlie said.

Sept. 10, 2010 at 10:32 a.m.

anonymous: Get more facts on Planned Parenthood in a powerful documentary called - Maafa21 (2.5 hours long) it is a MUST SEE! View clip here http://www.maafa21.com.

Sept. 10, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

Artemis: Herbal alternatives for natural birth control and herbal abortion. No one's CHOICE should ever be based on distance or their ability to find a clinic close to home. This is appalling!!! Don't let them take away your right to choose, sisters. Take control of your own health...

Sept. 10, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.

Artemis: Herbal alternatives for natural birth control and herbal abortion. No one's CHOICE should ever be based on distance or their ability to find a clinic close to home. This is appalling!!! Don't let them take away your right to choose, sisters. Take control of your own health... artemisherbalchoices.weebly.com

Sept. 10, 2010 at 4:48 p.m.

jerseygma: And you folks say you're not pro-abortion, just pro-choice. Then wouldn't you be excited if no one chose one? The tone of this article speaks volumes. No access to "convenient" abortions?

Sept. 10, 2010 at 6:59 p.m.

jimmy quintero lopez: no veo el porque de la gran cantidad que se opone a este control o medida,ya que cada quien es dueño de su cuerpo y de sus decisiones,ademas sies hecho medicamente,se reduce la morbimortalidad,de estas practicas hechas en forma clandestina.

Sept. 13, 2010 at 1:13 a.m.

MarshaMarshaMarsha: to jerseygma: Yes, ma'am, it's important for access to abortions be convenient. You see, some women don't want to bear their fathers' babies, their rapists' babies, or deformed babies...& some pregnancies will kill the "host" body (the woman). So it's time to stop interferring with other women's rights. Some day, your own rights may be seen as "unimportant" by a religious group - what will you do then?

Sept. 25, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.

Gina: Check your facts people, less than 1% of abortions are from rape/incest cases. When a mother learns of a deformity, it is past the 9 wk mark when she can no longer take the RU486 abortion pill. How could anyone be for tearing the limbs off of an unborn baby at a time in gestation when the baby can feel pain all because of a deformity? It's frightening that this is our culture...a culture of death. Abortion has NOTHING to do with health and if you believe that, then you are believing one of the biggest lies. Check out the latest research on the links to abortion and breast cancer and also the infertility rate for women who have had abortions, not to mention the emotional trauma MANY women go through years later. It's not about health, it's about convenience and the money making agenda of Planned Parenthood. It's not even about religion, it's about civil rights for EVERYONE, despite their age, deformity, or the status of their dead beat dad.