Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sports Shorts: Missouri basketball announces full 2010-11 schedule

Basketball The Missouri Tigers basketball team announced the 2010-11 schedule Monday.

The Tigers have put together a challenging year, facing the powerhouse Georgetown Hoyas as well as the rising Illinois Fighting Illini. The games will be played in Kansas City and St. Louis, respectively.

Another notable scheduling is the 2010 Cancun Challenge, which will take place in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during Thanksgiving break. The Tigers will face Wyoming in the first game, followed by either Providence or La Salle in the second.

From Cancun, the Tigers enter an extremely tough portion of the schedule, which includes games against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Georgetown, Oregon and Vanderbilt.

The Tigers have 12 scheduled games against returning NCAA Tournament teams. Missouri also has a number of firsts on the schedule. The Tigers will play five schools for the first time, with a possibility for a sixth in the Cancun Challenge.

Football Junior linebacker Will Ebner and junior tight end Beau Brinkley have been reinstated for Saturday’s game against San Diego State, coach Gary Pinkel said in a press conference Monday.

Ebner and Brinkley served two-game suspensions due to alcohol-related arrests.

Ebner was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated Aug. 24 after reportedly swerving in an SUV and later failing a Breathalyzer test. Five days later, Brinkley was arrested and charged for a DWI as well.

Both players were part of a rough offseason disciplinary-wise for the Tigers. Earlier in the offseason coach Bruce Walker was arrested for suspicion of DWI. Following Walker, Ebner and Brinkley was Washington, who was charged Aug. 30 with a Class C felony deviate sexual assault and permanently suspended from the team the next day.

Volleyball After winning the first seven matches of the year, the Missouri volleyball team finally stumbled over the weekend, dropping two out of four matches in the Western Kentucky Invitational.

Missouri jumped out to a good start, sweeping Tennessee Tech in the tournament opener. However, the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers finally took down the Tigers in the second game, 3-1.

Missouri bounced back in game three, sweeping Central Arkansas 3-0 but couldn’t carry the momentum over to game four, losing to Virginia Tech 3-1.

Missouri will try to bounce back in the Big 12 opener at Texas Tech on Sept. 15.

Soccer The Missouri soccer team earned its first win of the season in a 4-0 victory over Arkansas on Friday. Senior Kari Adam led the way, scoring her first two goals of the season for the Tigers.

The win was also a milestone for coach Bryan Blitz, who earned the 200th win of his career. Blitz’s overall record is now 200-172-25.

Another standout in the victory was senior Alysha Bonnick, who scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Missouri continues its six-game home stand on Friday against Loyola (Md.).