Thursday, July 24, 2014

Column: Ron Paul’s undeserved cult

Ben Levin

Ron Paul is never going to be the president of the United States. He didn’t win the Republican nomination, and there wasn’t a fight at the convention. I’m sorry. I know, I know, Ron Paul’s a great American hero. He’s not a politician. He delivers babies in his spare time, for goodness sake! I saw him help a grandma cross the street the other day. What’s that, you say? Ron Paul is old? Wrong: Within his blood courses the youthful life force of the American dream.

Yet before we sink any further into hero worship of American’s favorite libertarian, I want you to stand back for a moment and ask yourself, honestly, what it is you like about Ron Paul. You hear it all the time: Ron Paul is the voice of the college student. During his visit to MU last March, Rep. Paul drew the loudest cheer for his endorsement of marijuana legalization. You’ll get no argument from me about the point —the war on drugs should end. But the drug war is not the most pressing problem facing college students. It’s not even in the top five. If you support Ron Paul because of his antiestablishment message and opposition to the drug war, you owe it to yourself to re-examine both his positions and your priorities.

Here’s a priority: health care. Obamacare allows young adult students to continue receiving coverage under their parent’s health insurance plans until the age of 26. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, three million young adults now have access to health care who otherwise would not. Are you one of them? Under President Paul, that policy would be gone, along with the rest of the Affordable Care Act. Goodbye, easy access to health care.

Or maybe you have diabetes. Assuming you’re not insured under your parent’s health plan (remember, we’ve repealed Obamacare), you’re going to need some insurance. So on top of rent, food and tuition, you’re going to need to find some insurance company willing to pay for your health care. It’s alternately impossible or impossibly expensive, and it’s real life under President Paul. Obamacare, for comparison, forbids insurance companies from turning you away based on your preexisting conditions.

I can hear you now: “Wait, Ben! College students are a mostly healthy bunch! Why should we care about those few poor suckers that aren’t us?” Fair question, friend. Young adults are, on average, healthier than any other age group. We are united by two things: our general health and our general poverty. Many college-age people are in the unique position of not being supported by their parents and not having the time to pay for both their expenses and their tuition. Pell Grants, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and federal subsidization of college loans allow thousands of students at MU to continue their educations. These programs, more integral to college students than any drug policy, would be abolished under a libertarian philosophy. You would suffer. Your friends would suffer.

It’s almost funny Ron Paul is known for his rabid support from college students. It betrays a deep ignorance on the part of those students — an ignorance toward the issues that affect students most. Maybe you have your tuition paid by your parents. Maybe you fall under your mother’s insurance plan. Maybe even your credit card statements are sent to a faraway mailbox. For those not so lucky, Ron Paul’s platform poses an insurmountable obstacle to their health and future. Remembering those students, and that their concerns are greater than the need for a legal joint, will help you decide which politicians deserve your worship.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:02 a.m.

Cade Foster: You have not understood Ron Paul's multi-decade message and have reacted somewhat superficially by naively comparing a currently "broken" system given to us by "establishment" politicians for quite a few decades with Ron Paul's constitutional-based stances which would have avoided alot (if not all) of the mess that the USA currently suffers. Do you really think tuition fees would be relatively high as now if the government had not been pumping money into the student loan sector for so many decades; with that and the effects of the Federal Reserve and Nixon getting USA off the gold/tangible standard ... it's called inflation. Consider "foreign aid", Mubarak of Egypt got about 2.5 billion USD per year for about 30 years and obviously did not help Egypt's people (helped his Swiss bank account and wife's shopping sprees in Europe) and would have been much better for money like that to stay in USA to benefit the citizens (say education, healthcare) and not benefit tyrants/despots. Government does not have the conviction/know-how to run a proper business model and cannot keep a sustainable balance sheet (e.g. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, bankster-bailout at the expense of ripping into the citizen's money supply, etc.). The government's FEMA branch offers insurance and has a 20 billion debt hole to plug up.The free market was suppose to be in play but government-related corporatization/distortions of the market has made the real free market non-existent for quite a few years. You mention healthcare, how about the health of the foreigners in foreign countries that have died due to the war-mongering factions of the "establishment" portions of the Democrat/Republican parties (Clintons, Bush, Obama, potentially Romney, etc.). Obama funded NATO about 800 million USD for the the Libyan ~ 8-month bombing campaign (~ 17000 bombs). As Dennis Kucinich and others have pointed out, Al Quaeda now has a foothold in Libya. If the Treasury and Federal Reserve had not been busily devaluing the USD then the American citizen would have a currency with greater purchasing power. The constitution accepts gold/silver as legal tender. The purchasing power of this bullion currency has increased significantly during the last decade while the purchasing power of USD has dropped significantly; still, they are pumping out these USD like there is no tomorrow (QE1, QE2, QE3 (i.e. QE-forever). Henry Waxman pointed out in a hearing a few years ago (check out on youtube) about the unaccounted 12 billion USD sent to Iraq during ~2003 through the Federal Reserve (bypassing the congress/constitution). Why do we still have troops/bases in Germany, Korea, Japan, etc. The money for these ventures would be better spent at home or defence and non-defence reasons. The point I am trying to make is that the "system" is broken due to the incremental attacks on the spirit of the constitution that were orchestrated by specific groups of spineless-unpatriotic-sellout-flip-flopping politicians.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:29 a.m.

Shirl: If Ron Paul had the chance to get us back on track and back to the Constitution being upheld in our Federal and State Governments it would allow for individualism. Opportunity that you create through your own determination and creativity. There is this abundance of opportunity because you are not held down with earning and paying 20-30% of your earnings to your Federal Government to support many wasteful departments. You actually get to keep your earnings because there would be no Income tax within a few years with the Paul Administration. In addition the taxes on all the levels of making/manufacturing/developing products would be gone or at least severely lowered so that tax would not be so high. Less cost when you make purchases, again more money in your pocket. Departments moved from the Federal to State levels would rid much of the fraud and waste that we support currently. Basically you get the idea that revamping our government back to upholding the Constitution would move most departments to the State level where they can be managed easier and for a whole lot less money! Thus, simply more earnings stay in your pocket for you to invest in the manner you choose to grow your future whether it be founding a private sector business or working for a company and invest your extra income into minerals or new inventions, whatever suits your fancy. It is all about allowing individualism, less regulations, less taxes-alot less taxes, and the Freedom to be yourself. Along with Freedom comes the responsibility of using that Freedom without bringing harm to others. It is what was intended by our Constitution.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:36 a.m.

Hokie Dokie: You fail to delve deeper into the financial impact of such programs on current and future generations through tax hikes and inflation as the Federal Reserve attempts to tackle the problem inefficiently (as historically shown) when deficits run high and there is no money to spend as these programs are unsustainable. You instead point out immediate benefits and assume that those that are not for them must be ignorant for not supporting the programs that bring them about. It's nice to build a straw man, but it does you no good. There's a thing called personal responsibility, it's not only useful in monetary actions, it's also useful when acknowledging that you have put forth a flawed argument. Give it a try.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:06 a.m.

Charlie Peters: California, Obama / Mitt, November contest would likely give the California winner prize to Obama but how would a 3 way Obama, Mitt & Ron write in vote count end up? RP votes in 2008 were counted. The Goldman Sacs / Fed reserve / GMO food-fuel twins might create a fun contest with the Texas Dr. Ron Paul Audit the Federal Reserve, Support HR 459 Paul & S 202 Paul Is this game about D R or other? maybe it is about saving the republic. Maybe Obama and Mitt are the underdogs. 510-537-1796

Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:14 a.m.

Eric: This is far too short of a piece to be anything but slanted, and comes out as a rant. You belie your "education" on this man by picking health care as your attack vector. The man worked as a doctor for decades, and never turned a single patient away (including those without any insurance whatsoever). There is sound thinking behind his viewpoint on healthcare, along with his other positions. Whether or not you agree with him, you should at least bring up logical disagreements to try and further educate the reader. What you do here is merely appeal to emotions ("oh no! You might die if you voted for him!"). This is a base and unintelligent way to conduct yourself. Add this to the fact that you see a passionate movement concerning a politician as a cult, merely because of your opinion of that politician. What a poorly-written article.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:20 a.m.

Adam: I must say I don't think it's a matter of ignorance. Is it so hard to believe that some of us young people support what we perceive as morally right not what nesseseraly is in our own intrest. Many of us are not libertarian because it's a easy way to live or it's going to be of gain. We are libertarian because we think it's the only way of government that is sustainable in the long run, so we don't leave giant loans and bankrupt government programs to the next generation. We also stand up for libertarian principles because we belive that no man or group of people have the right to steal the profit of anothers work no matter how noble his intents are with that money.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 4 a.m.

Ahree: You are an idiot. Study government.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:48 a.m.

qukk4liberty: You serve us some good points, and I as a college student would not be able to afford college if it were for federal aid. However, you miss the point about government funded organizations. As the gov. fed money into the college students , this allowed college tutions to sky rocket. So the hopes is that with out the free money from the government colleges would be forced to be more competitively priced, eventually causing a decrease in the prices of tuition across the board. Truthfully colleges today are extremely wasteful entities brought about by government backed loans, and I tell you what with this increase in tuition the education sure as hell hasn't gotten better, if not worse. The ideology of Ron Paul is not a quick fix like all the other politicians it is a plan to restore American to a growing nation again, once we reach that point sure we can go back to these socialist values, as long as we have the money to back them.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:13 a.m.

Grant: To really understand and appreciate Ron Paul, you have to understand his economics, which this author clearly does not. Because of the distorted market that is government-managed healthcare, we are destined to see prices rise and quality fall. They only thing that makes socialized medicine "work" is the government's ability to arbitrarily fix prices and ration care. While this may guarantee that everyone gets some healthcare, it stifles innovation and competition: the very forces that are responsible for markets evolving toward greater efficiency. Only when consumers allocate their dollars to providers based on value will markets work for the benefit of all.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:35 a.m.

Eric H.: I'm in agreement with Adam. It's quite telling that the author's reasons for thinking Ron Paul's support is undeserved is because he thinks we all need to get what's in our own interest. Now, don't get me wrong, libertarian ideals long preceded Ayn Rand, but aren't we supposed to be the selfish people, ha ha. The position presented by the author is the root of our current mess. GIMME GIMME!

Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:40 a.m.

Jesse Kirkland: Ben still hasn't learned about economics. Ben thinks it's everybody else's responsibility to put him through college. Ben does not understand Liberty and the Constitution. Ben is brainwashed into thinking that it's OK to steal, so long as it helps with his college. Shoot down Ben, you are not welcome in my America.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:07 a.m.

Paul Gibson: Typical College student. You need to stay in school and LEARN something. Better yet. Get a job! THAT SHOULD BE A HIGHER PRIORITY FOR KIDS. You are LUCKY to be GIVEN SO MUCH! I was FORCED TO WORK ALL DURING COLLEGE to pay for my tuition! Too many hand out makes MORE hands go out!

Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:10 a.m.

Matt: Now I understand Dr. Paul when he tells us its our responsibility to educate the public of his message. It's to complicated for many. Ben, have you heard of fractional reserve banking, the federal reserve, or inflation? You are telling me I'm supposed to be proud of the fact Obama is letting me ride my parents health care insurance for a few more years because it is not affordable. It is also horrible watching people unable to afford education anymore. Watching students taking loans that make then debt slaves for their entire lives. They can only get these loans because they are backed by the government. Ben this is the future you want for your children? QE1, QE2, QE3, QE(forever). 0% interest forever? Please wake up I beg you open your mind and learn. Use Google!

Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:43 a.m.

Satans Penis: "Here’s a priority: health care. Obamacare allows young adult students to continue receiving coverage under their parent’s health insurance plans until the age of 26. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, three million young adults now have access to health care who otherwise would not. Are you one of them? Under President Paul, that policy would be gone, along with the rest of the Affordable Care Act. Goodbye, easy access to health care. Or maybe you have diabetes. Assuming you’re not insured under your parent’s health plan (remember, we’ve repealed Obamacare), you’re going to need some insurance. So on top of rent, food and tuition, you’re going to need to find some insurance company willing to pay for your health care. It’s alternately impossible or impossibly expensive, and it’s real life under President Paul. Obamacare, for comparison, forbids insurance companies from turning you away based on your preexisting conditions." You can always do what the undocumented do. Go to the emergency room... I've never seen anyone turned away. Keep in mind that if the govt is paying for it, HMOs and hospital will charge you more for it. Why not? The Govt is taking care of it... and so are YOUR taxes.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:07 a.m.

Jack: The entire article is a straw man argument against Dr. Paul's positions, and from that standpoint you've just wasted all of your readers' time.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:40 a.m.

Antoine: Your piece is insulting because it address on only two areas of issue. It doesn't matter you agree or not on the drug issue, the support for Ron Paul is more than the desire for a mere joint. There are multiple reasons to find him likable including foreign policy, military spending, long history of integrity to his proclaim beliefs, and many others. To address your particular note about loans. Ron Paul had talked about that too. You pressed fear to us that Ron Paul policy is anti-student because of his views on programs that provide financial aid. However, if you look back years ago. College was once affordable enough that a one could get through it with a combination of a job and perhaps some time saving beforehand. Attendance was relatively low because schools didn't push everyone to go to college yet, but was a way as long there was a reasonable amount of will. Now, schools is many times more expensive and a reasonable point can be made that part of why schools was able to raise the prices so much is loans allows the students to pay. But does that mean the loans made school more affordable? Or just up the risks later if the education fails to monetized (hence Occupy)?

Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:44 a.m.

GetInvolved 2012: Because one cannot be denied health insurance coverage means the ins. companies will raise the premiums to a point where you cannot afford them because they are forced to provide coverage. Medical providers have and will continue to raise their rates because the ins. companies are forced to provide coverage and thus, payment to them. Same with colleges and universities. When the G'vt gets involved and promises yours and my money to cover tuitions, the institutions raise the tuition rates. As Dr. Paul states, when G'vt gets involves, we all pay more and we all lose more.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:48 a.m.

Kniggit: Your argument about benefits ignores the involuntary conscription of the benefactors: taxpayers. You myopically observe that money in the pocket to pay for health and education as justifiable ends to means unquestioned. Imagine the evolution of an economic ecosystem based on direct interaction between consumers and producers. Imagine affordable education, health care, or even a milk man delivering fresh milk to your doorstep or a gas station attendant adding air to your tires while he pumps your 12 cents a gallon gas. That is not a fantasy. That was the good old days. It happened. It happened because the dollar was as stable as gold. Replace supply and demand with government protection and in a few generations people completely lose their wealth, their caveat emptor muscle atrophies, and worse, they forget that it's their responsibility to develop and each maintain their own vibrant caveat emptor muscle. You want sheeple. You got it. Count Ron Paul, me, and the MAJORITY of HUMANS in America and abroad OUT. The land of opportunity was never about guarantees, but of freedom. Working hard in such a land rewarded you much more than other lands of privilege and statism. Once you learn that 1 + 1 = 2, that capitalism, Rand, Rothbard, Friedman, et al. are right, and that the failure of the USSR, Cuba, North Korea, Cambodia, and the perpetual struggle of all socialist, communist, and dictatorial statist regimes are ample redundant proof, then you are an honest man. I am not your guarantee. You want something from me? Offer me something and ask, like they do on public television, if I want it.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.

Marc: Wow just wow.. This is a smear article if I ever saw one! The other comments pretty much proved this article a farce, but my opinion healthcare that is universal does NOT work. I live in Canada (Montreal to be exact) and we have FREE universal health care. If you have a problem you are going to wait 8 hours to see a doctor because there are not enough doctors because they all go to the US because they don't pay well here. Also, we pay about 50% tax at the end of the day (depending on your tax bracket) because after the salary tax and other things they take off your paycheck, along with the income tax, not to mention a 15% tax on everything you buy.. This is all to pay for services to make stuff free and pay people that are on welfare. We also have practically free education as well, and students just get stoned and don't give a hoot about their educations that are paid for by tax payers. Believe me, the US system is broken now, under Obama it will get worse, under Ron Paul this would be a NEW system that in my opinion would work. Right now you couldn't pay me enough money to move to the US, but under a Paul Presidency I would consider selling my house to live there because it would be once again the LAND OF THE FREE ie. free markets, low low taxes, etc.. I donated to Rev Pac and other Liberty organization.. Atleast you guys have Gary Johnson there to offset to Obamney sleaze.. The whole world is watching... Come on Americans, make it happen!! :)

Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:43 a.m.

Pudentain: I think your conclusion may be short sighted. You and your peers will not always be struggling college students. Right now we need to look at what will improve the overall fiscal health of the country.

Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.

Dave: Shame on this entire editorial staff for publishing this trash! Nice job covering all the major talking points and not just your own selfish concerns about who is going to pay for your healthcare and college. There is one simple truth that we Americans as a whole have forgotten. No person or organization including the government owes us anything. Our Republic was created to protect our freedoms and that is it my friend. If anything the government is the reason that that healthcare and college loans are through the roof. But it would be a waste of time to try and explain that to such a profound mental midget. -A lot of people

Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:35 a.m.

Jason: "Obamacare, for comparison, forbids insurance companies from turning you away based on your preexisting conditions." What good will that do if the insurance is unaffordable? Since Obamacare passed, rates have gone up as much as 30%.

Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 a.m.

Jon in San Jose: You have been seduced by the socialist illusion that almost everything will be cheap if "the other guy" pays for it. When all are responsible for everyone, everyone is impoverished, because the desire for health care, employment, leisure, homes, and transportation are limitless. Desires can only be fulfilled if people pay for what they get. If the typical student cannot afford the education desired AND a dwelling, it should NOT be purchased (or rented)! When and if the labor pool has less formal education than superfluous degree factories now create, employers will adjust. They would probably go back to the subsidizing of education, as they used to. Having a degree does not provide a job. Having health insurance does not provide health. Having an apartment does not provide independence. Get over your superficial values, and get real. btw, diabetes type 2 is both preventable and curable, but the govt supported medical industry doesn't want you to know, so you don't. health insurance for an avoidable condition is a national joke.

Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:31 a.m.

Jacob: You're right, Ron Paul is not a "politician". He delivers babies and helps old ladies across the street! Exactly the kind of person we need as president. He's "honest" Not politicians.

Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:09 p.m.

The Truth about healthcare: The healthcare argument is flawed on many levels. The most important was the giveaways to big pharma. Thanks to the authors hero people in need of expensive life saving medications are BANNED from importing them from sources they can afford. So if your not rich and you need expensive medicine your only option is to die. So everytime you go to the pharmacy to buy a $400- bottle of pills or cream that everyone else on the planet pays $15- for your getting robbed out of $380-. How is this arrangement supposed to benefit anyone other than the 6 guys that own the pill factories? What good is insurance if you cant afford the medicine? Which is worse dieing from a natural illness due to lack of care or dieing as a homeless person because the hospital took your house as payment? The author is still young and will obviously become wiser with age. Kudos for the effort.

Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:41 p.m.

Drew Layda: Obamacare fixes healthcare by first making it more invasive, more publicly funded and then tops it off with making it mandatory. The issue is that a for-profit medical provider, medical equipment supplier, pharmaceutical interest is able to market its goods and services with duress as a direct marketing strategy. So you now have a system entrenched in the provision of profit to a small group of shareholders off the fear for life, limb and organ or death itself. In a scenario where a treatment is weighed economically by a for-profit corporation the corporation has a legal obligation to vie in favor of the one that is more profitable: Treatment. Sale of any good or service with implied or informed duress as sale tactic is supposed to be illegal, classified in all 50 states and Federal law as a type of coercion. Duress is such a powerful state of consciousness that Federal law views it as a viable positive defense for the charge of murder 1. Only a healthcare reform that addresses this, and many other glaring conflicts of interests within the whole of the industry should be considered a realistic policy. The only more direct means of coercion involves a real person, your head and a gun. The precept of any special interests or entertaining the oxy-moronic claim that corporate person-hood allows non-citizen entities to directly petition politicians, outside their districts, and further flirting with dominion of the Federal logic paradigm, it is scary. People need to re-learn the wisdom behind the separation of powers, interests and accountable liberty. Wake up, we don't live in a Democracy or a Republic, we live in a Federation, made up of Democracy at it's base, a republic in the middle and a federalized system of checks and balances, limitation of powers, preservation of state and personal liberty. This is what makes a strong nation...not whatever it is the "Third-way" progressives would have you believe. Our constitutional union was the original all-encompassing paradigm, worked great until the corrupt, greedy and short-sighted turned it into what we have now... We can change it, or we can let them continue on with our silence as implied consent.

Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:45 a.m.

peter: You don´t know what is saying. The convention had serius fights and cracks. Dozens of delegates and even a governator went away in protest against the cheat that dominated the GOP.

Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:21 a.m.

RP2012: This article is rubbish. It does not consider the trillions of dollars wasted by our government on foreign interventions and useless government agencies. It also fails to address the fact that our government borrows 43 cents on every dollar, and the fact that ObamaCare is an unconstitutional mandate. May the Internet never have to read such garbage and stupidity again.

Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:30 a.m.

Lisa: YOU ARE A FOOL!!! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RON PAUL OR REAL FREEDOM!! Go back under the rock you crawled out from. You are ignorant!

Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:41 a.m.

Lisa: This guy knows nothing of what's really happening in America or what Ron Paul stands for. Wake up and read real news: www.infowars.com

Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:39 a.m.

Bob: The author clearly doesn't understand the level of intellect of Paul supporters. His simple logic is the reason this country has fallen apart. In this world of money, everything has a price tag. Paul supporters understand this, whether they are college students or not. If everyone felt entitled to products such as healthcare, there wouldn't be enough resources to go around. Too many people have grown accustomed to this modern way of life, where everything you desire can be placed right in front of you. It is nobody's job but your own to provide for yourself with what you need, because when the time comes, which is looking sooner everyday, there will be nobody there except yourself.

Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:52 a.m.

Lisa: The writer, like China won't allow you to speak y our mind. I posted yesterday and my posts never showed up. He may allow this one because I'm mentioning this but not the posts because this article is foolish like him.

Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:39 a.m.

Molly Duffy, Forum Editor: Lisa, Mr. Levin does not moderate comments, I do. The delay of your comments being posted was due to the amount we've received lately—they were approved in the order they were submitted. Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for reading!

Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:24 a.m.

Kevin: What a horseshit writer

Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:28 a.m.

Jack: Freedom is just to much work for this little brat. Stop stealing my children's future for your short term gain. Want an education? Read a book.

Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:28 p.m.

alan wein: You need to learn what it means to make a living and not worry about a cushy college lifestyle till you are 26.

Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 p.m.

Brandon: This guy is just another crybaby communist that wants everyone else to pay for his life. He sees health insurance as being the most important issue in the U.S. When the economy and dollar finally crash under the weight of absurdly reckless federal policies, then he'll perhaps realize what the most important issue really is. If he thinks healthcare is expensive, then wait until a loaf of bread is $170.00. Laugh and write it all off as a conspiracy theory if you want. But in five years, you won't think it's so humorous. It's coming soon...

Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:57 a.m.

Dusan: "Insurance is about measuring risk and finding market opportunities to reduce the consequences associated with inescapable risk that exists as part of our lives. The market provides insurance against untimely death, against automotive accidents, against fire in our homes, against burglary, and the like. The market does NOT provide insurance against risk that we create on our own. For example, you cannot buy insurance against losing the lottery, against business failure, against losing a sports match. This is because those are risks we create on our own. Market-based insurance is about cushioning the results of inadvertent events that negatively affect our lives. Insurance is only profitable for both the insurer and the insured if risk is properly measured and priced. Only the competitive market can MEASURE RISK and find a price for the insurance. In the same way that the failure of socialism is inevitable due to the absence of free market pricing, government subsidized or regulated insurance will always fail in the same fashion, because there is a moral hazard embedded as a part of its underlying structure: It is not properly priced according to the level of risk. Regardless of how we behave or what we do, our premiums do not change and the payout does not change. MORAL HAZARD, that is, the tendency to adopt the very behaviors against which we are being insured, is all but guaranteed." - RON PAUL, in LIBERTY DEFINED page 160-161. Read the rest of his chapter on insurance. It's very enlightening.

Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:47 p.m.

Corey: Ben, You are a foolish and ignorant young man. Keep trying, you show promise...but seem to have a piss-poor and incorrect view. Get some real life experience. -Corey