Monday, October 20, 2014

Dorial Green-Beckham, two teammates arrested on drug charges

Freshman wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham receives chants of "MIZ-DGB" during the Texas Tech basketball game on Jan. 28 at Mizzou Arena. Green-Beckham was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, along with two other football players, on Wednesday night.

Maneater File Photo

Updated Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:11 p.m.

Freshman wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, the former No. 1 recruit in the nation, and two other Missouri football players were arrested on drug charges Wednesday night.

Green-Beckham, freshman linebacker Torey Boozer and freshman wide receiver Levi Copelin were arrested just before midnight on charges of possession of 35 grams or less of marijuana, according to MU Police Department records.

Freshman defensive tackle Harold Brantley and freshman tight end Brandon Holifield were also in the car, but the investigation determined they had nothing to do with the marijuana and they were released.

MUPD spokesman Brian Weimer said the group was found in a white Lincoln Navigator in Lot G, just south of Memorial Stadium. The car belongs to Green-Beckham.

"The officer noticed the individuals sitting in a car and went up and made contact," Weimer said. "The officer observed the odor of marijuana. Through the investigation, the officer made the arrest of three individuals."

Green-Beckham, Boozer and Copelin were taken to the police department for processing and released on signature summons, Weimer said.

In a statement, team spokesman Chad Moller said the five will be suspended from the football program for the team's home game against Vanderbilt on Saturday.

"We’re aware of the incident and have addressed it," he said in the statement. "All individuals involved have been immediately suspended from the program for one game. All other disciplinary measures will be handled internally, and there will be no further comment."

Green-Beckham, Boozer and Copelin's arrests mark the third separate run-in with the law for football players since May. Redshirt freshman quarterback Corbin Berkstresser was arrested May 15 on charges of leaving the scene of an accident. Freshman quarterback Maty Mauk was arrested Aug. 30 after allegedly hitting multiple vehicles on his scooter; Mauk was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, resisting arrest, operating a vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner and failure to obey a traffic device.

Green-Beckham had his first collegiate touchdown last Saturday on an 80-yard pass in the team's 21-16 win over Central Florida. Before then, Green-Beckham had just six catches for 48 yards through four games.

"His focus has certainly got to be getting better every week," coach Gary Pinkel said. "Everything else will take care of itself."

Pinkel said Green-Beckham's 80-yard score, the team's longest gain of the season, was an indicator of things to come.

“I think that was a glimpse of what we have here,” he said. “As he matures, he’s going to change the game when he touches the football. We got to get him the ball more; it’s obvious.”

Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:51 p.m.

Chuck Harp: Feel safer now? What a waste of time and effort from this Officer. Like anyone really cares about anyone smoking marijuana. The disdain for marijuana is born in hatred and fear. The destruction that comes from marijuana comes from the Prohibition not ill effects on the body. Even outstanding athletes deserve the right to privacy and the pursuit of happiness! Why not have campus cops truly helping out instead of low level easy picking very possibly ruining lives.

Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:07 p.m.

Joe: Lincoln Navigator? Huh! Why not?

Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:05 p.m.

Mittens: CPD gets it done again! Now if they could just wipe out the random stabbings all would be good.

Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:33 a.m.

Dan: I'm not going to debate the ethics of the laws. However I would like to say I'm impressed by the ethics of MUPD. Despite being arguably a community idols, MUPD treated these gentlemen, just as they would anyone else. And that in my opinion is a job well done.

Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:10 a.m.

Suppo: Just in the nick of time. I see by this web site that the "Whole Campus Will Be Smoke Free Soon".