Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Outlook | Published Dec. 26, 2013 | 0 comments

Columbia Police Department investigates shooting on Benton Street

A 41-year-old female suffered “non-life-threatening injuries," according to police.

Multiple gunshots were fired into a residence on Benton Street at approximately 10 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

A 41-year-old female victim was struck by a bullet that entered through the north wall of the residence. It is unclear whether the victim was an intended target of the shooter or not.

Columbia police officers and a Boone County Sheriff’s Department K-9 unit responded.The K-9 unit was unsuccessful in tracking the shooter, and crime scene investigators have yet to gather enough information to identify a suspect at this time.

The victim was transported to a local hospital to be treated for “non-life-threatening injuries,” Columbia Police Department spokesman Joe Bernhard said.

No one else was injured in the shooting.

So far, investigators have recovered four bullet casings, with the possibility that more may be found, Bernhard said. Investigators have also indicated the bullets found were fired from a handgun.

Authorities ask that anyone with information regarding the shooting contact the CPD’s non-emergency number (573-442-6131) or Crime Stoppers (573-875-8477) to remain anonymous.

Stay with The Maneater for updates regarding this story as more information becomes available.