Monday, September 1, 2014

Pairing disqualified from Greek Week after alcohol violation

The pairing did not perform in Fling preliminaries Wednesday.

Corrected 04/22/2013 at 10:45 p.m. In a previous edition of this article, Delta Gamma was given responsibility for the disqualification. This has been corrected to say that the whole pairing was responsible for the disqualification. The Maneater regrets this error.

One Greek Week pairing — Delta Gamma, Pi Kappa Phi and Phi Delta Theta — was notably absent from Fling preliminaries in Jesse Auditorium on Wednesday.

As a result of the disqualification from Greek Week, the pairing was not present at Fling, the annual Greek Week tradition when sororities and fraternities perform skits.

Steering Committee representative Austin Ratzki said the pairing was disqualified for breaking Greek Week rules.

“They have been disqualified from Greek Week because they broke the alcohol policy in our rulebook,” Ratzki said.

The MU Greek Week 2013 Rulebook states that “A chapter or any individual member guilty of possessing alcoholic beverages or being intoxicated at any Greek Week 2013 sponsored or affiliated event, or any chapter who fails to follow the alcohol policies established by the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Association, or the National Pan-Hellenic Council, may be subject to … immediate disqualification from all Greek Week 2013 events (and) forfeiture of all participation in Greek Week 2013.”

Greek Week Advisor Jill Kassel confirmed the pairing was disqualified for breaking the alcohol policy, but she declined further comment.

Mackenzie Michaletz, the Delta Gamma vice president of programming, said in an email they are dealing with the issue internally and declined to comment further.

Greek Life Coordinator Stefanie Zimmerman and PHA President Paige Tenkhoff could not be reached for comment.

Cassa Niedringhaus contributed to this report.

April 23, 2013 at 8:35 a.m.

Brandon: A pairing means two. I think the word you're looking for is "grouping."