Thursday, July 24, 2014

Letter to the Editor: Columbia Access Television provides integral service to city

Aug. 20, 2013

The Maneater reserves the right to edit letters and columns for style and length.

On August 24, the city will decide on whether or not they will include Columbia Access Television in the 2014 budget. I personally have experienced the way that Columbia Access Television makes a difference in the Columbia community. I learned so much from only the short couple months I spent there as a summer intern, and I would not have gained these skills in such an amount of time anywhere else.

Being an international studies major at MU, I really had no previous exposure to camera equipment or video production and never had the opportunity to learn it through my required college courses, although I had a passion to do so. My time as an intern at Columbia Access Television has changed the way I look at learning experiences, and I truly prefer the hands-on training with classes, such as camera classes and studio production training, that I had while at my internship site.

My experiences as an intern this past summer have given me an edge to almost any job I apply to due to my new skills of video production, media, marketing and business that I learned while at CAT. It was the best experience I ever had working in Columbia, and I received another internship offer in Chicago with the arts due to my training at CAT.

Columbia Access Television is an integral part of Boone County and it really fills a gap that is created in the community in regards to media and arts education that otherwise could not be filled.

In addition, according to (its website)[http://www.columbiaaccess.tv], public access funding comes from cable television providers in exchange for their use of public property anyway. It would be a tragedy to cut the funding to Columbia Access Television, especially because CAT offers services to a variety of other nonprofits in the community in order to help them express their missions and messages through video production on incredible platforms, which is integral to our technology-driven world today.

By cutting CAT’s funding, the community is actually affecting the functionality of many other non-profit organizations in Boone County as well.

— Kelsey White, student,   kmwdk7@mail.missouri.edu