Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Green-Beckham arrested again on drug charges

The receiver was also arrested on drug charges in October 2012.

Receiver Dorial Green-Beckham lines up for a drill during summer practice in August 2012. Green-Beckham was arrested for drug charges in October 2012 in Columbia and in January 2014 in Springfield, Mo.

Maneater File Photo

Jan. 11, 2014

Updated Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:01 p.m.

Sophomore wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham was released from Greene County Jail in Springfield, Mo., early Saturday morning on suspicion of possession and intent to distribute less than five grams of marijuana, according to a jail representative.

“(The release) probably means he wasn’t involved with what they thought he was involved in,” the representative said in a phone interview Saturday morning.

Green-Beckham was in a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with John W. McDaniel, 22, and Pat W. Prouty, 20, when the car was pulled over for driving with expired license plates at 9:59 p.m. Friday. McDaniel was driving the vehicle when it was stopped at Sunshine Street and Jefferson Avenue.

After smelling the odor of marijuana, officers searched the car and located approximately a pound of marijuana and other drug paraphernalia.

The three men were arrested and booked at the Greene County Jail. The evidence was sent to a laboratory for testing.

All three men were released early Saturday morning without bond pending the results of the investigation, whereafter formal charges may be filed.

Nearly 24 hours after his arrest, Green-Beckham took to Twitter to offer a response:

Two other individuals in their late 20s were in the car as well, but their names are being withheld at this time because police do not know how they are related to the incident, a Springfield Police Department representative said Saturday evening.

"We're aware of the situation and working to learn more," Mizzou Athletics spokesman Chad Moller said Saturday morning.

MU policy prohibits athletes charged with a felony from competing.

The former No. 1 recruit in the nation, Green-Beckham was arrested and charged in October 2012 for possessing 35 grams or less of marijuana.

Green-Beckham was suspended for one game following that incident.

This season, Green-Beckham caught 59 passes for 883 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Aaron Reiss and Jacob Bogage contributed to this report.

Stay with The Maneater for updates on this developing story.