Sam signed to Cowboys practice squad

Defensive end Michael Sam celebrates a sack in Missouri's Oct. 19, 2013 win over Florida. Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL, signed with the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad Wednesday, Sept. 3.

Maneater File Photo

It appears as if Michael Sam will get his chance after all.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network and NFL.com reported Tuesday that the Dallas Cowboys were planning to bring in Sam for a physical on Wednesday.

And Wednesday morning, following Sam passing a physical, news spread on social media that Sam’s signing with Dallas is official. He will join the team’s practice squad, meaning he will not be on the active roster for games.

Each team can have up to eight practice squad players. The players are paid per week, and can be released at any point in the season.

It has also been reported that the decision to bring Sam in reached the highest levels of the organization, with owner Jerry Jones being involved.

Sam, the NFL’s first openly gay player to be drafted, was cut from the St. Louis Rams organization Saturday despite an impressive preseason. He led the team in sacks (3.0) and was finished among the team leaders in total tackles (11). It was an understandable move from the Rams given the depth at his position, but it came as a surprise to many that Sam hadn’t been looked at by another team in the ensuing days.

“I heard so many great things about what (Sam) was doing with the Rams,” Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said. “Hopefully he’ll get an opportunity because he’s such a talented young guy.”