Monday, March 27, 2017

Musicians, poets and dancers take a stance against rape culture at Rock Against Rape

The center wanted to use multiple art forms to share their message of zero-tolerance for violence.

The Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention Center hosted Rock Against Rape on Traditions Plaza after a three-year hiatus. Rock Against Rape is organized by the RSVP’s student organization STARS, Stronger Together Against Relationship and Sexual Violence.

The purpose of the event was to educate students on sexual violence prevention through a night of free music and poetry, RSVP graduate assistant Tim Maness said.

“Our primary thing is that we provide a safe spot to have difficult dialogue about interpersonal violence in our society and in our culture and personal lives,” Maness said.

The performers at the event were volunteers.

“The performers came here out of the goodness of their own hearts, to give a message of positivity and support survivors across our college campus,” Maness said.

Among the artists were sister duo Delia and Hannah Rainey, otherwise know as Dubb Nubb. The sisters are former MU students and were happy to be back playing on their old stomping grounds, the sisters said.

“We really support what they’re doing, and it’s pretty amazing for the university to have all these resources,” Delia Rainey said.

Not only was there music, but poets and dancers also stepped on stage to support sexual violence prevention. Indie Poets President Shelbey Parnell performed spoken word poetry, along with other MU writers.

The concert was free to attend, which drew a large crowd.

“I love music and hate rape culture,” freshman Sophia Faiella said. “I think that events like this, that are open and free to the public, makes people talk and it makes them ask questions. Then, they know more and tell their friends.”

The music festival-esque atmosphere creates a light and uplifting vibe to attract more students, Maness said in a previous Maneater article. RSVP undergraduate assistant Kelsey Burns said in that article the center decided to use different artistic forms to create a diverse night of entertainment.

“I think that as women or anyone who is going through something, the fact that you can sit down and play guitar or make art is something that is really empowering,” Delia Rainey said.