Monday, May 22, 2017

Editorial: Nonrevenue sports deserve more attention and fan support

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Maneater editorial board.

Fans are quick to say that Mizzou Athletics sucks. The football team has had a deplorable record this year, and Mizzou basketball will probably continue its bad streak this season, too. But fans of those teams sometimes forget that Mizzou has many nonrevenue sports that are kicking ass and taking names.

A nonrevenue sport is a sport that isn’t a big moneymaker for Mizzou, which is essentially every sport besides football and men’s basketball. However, those sports are the ones with all the wins.

Mizzou’s volleyball team won the SEC championship. Men’s swimming and diving is ranked No. 2 in the nation. The wrestling team, which includes an Olympic bronze medalist, is ranked No. 5. Cross-country runner Karissa Schweizer won the NCAA title in the 6K. And that’s just to name a few.

Nonrevenue sports are consistently overlooked by Mizzou Athletics fans. We have a plethora of world-class athletes who win and don’t receive campus-wide recognition. An athlete who was a part of a championship football or basketball team would undoubtedly receive more attention.

Even though attendance at basketball and football games has been pretty poor this year, nonrevenue events get even fewer fans in the stands. It feels a little ironic, because going to the sporting events of teams that are doing well actually gives you a reason to cheer. The potential for a fun experience is so much greater at an event like a volleyball game, where the team gives you a reason to get excited. To make it even better, nonrevenue sports events are free. Why pay to lose when you can win for free?

When cynics say that Mizzou sports suck, they jump the gun and ignore the amount of athletic talent that exists at this school. Supplement your football and basketball with other sports that would love your support and reward you with a win.