Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Gallery: CS1950 takes on Million Student March

The march went throughout campus, but the protesters were silent in Jesse Hall in order to avoid legal trouble.

Correction: The quote in the fourth photo is “We broke as hell, we woke as hell.”

The Concerned Student 1950 organization gathered Wednesday to raise awareness for racism and student debt. While marching through campus, the group was stopped several times by an MU Police Department officer, warning them about disrupting campus activity. To avoid legal trouble, the students remained silent as they protested throughout Jesse Hall. After scattering around the lobby to welcome students and staff, the activists visited the financial aid office.

On April 13, the national day of action, a group of Concerned Student 1950 members gathers in front of the Student Center at 10:30 a.m. for the Million Student March, a national movement to raise awareness for the student debt and racism.

Alexzandria Churchill/Senior Staff Photographer

Before the march begins, a member of Concerned Student 1950 polishes off a sign and posters that voiced financial issues surrounding minority communities.

The march began by cutting through the Student Center, the lobby falling silent as the group’s chants, “Hey hey, ho ho, student debt has got to go!”

After being told by a police officer to steer clear of protesting and disrupting activity in buildings, the protesters march on to the cheer, “We broke as hell, we woke as hell.” When walking past the Middlebush building, a white male student passed the line. While recording the students on Snapchat, he reiterated, “Trump, Trump, Trump.”

While finishing their final chants before silently entering Jesse Hall, the group passes construction workers outside of Swallow Hall.

Once in Jesse Hall, the group remained silent to avoid disrupting activities in the building.

An MUPD officer speaks with the student activists for the third time of the day. Before they entered Jesse, he warned that if they chant they are subject to being arrested, expelled or both.

A Concerned Student 1950 member sits at the back of the room while the protesters stand in the financial aid office, stat signs up, making their presence and purpose known.

After leaving Jesse Hall, the group gathers around the front steps, asking students passing by their thoughts about Black Lives Matter and if they care about their cause. The group ended how they began: chanting, fists up.