Friday, January 20, 2017

UPDATED: MUPD arrests 43-year-old for indecent exposure

James Bennett was arrested at approximately 5:25 p.m. on Tuesday after MUPD found him in a vehicle matching the initial report.

MU Police arrested James Bennett on suspicion of three counts of first degree sexual misconduct and one count of unlawful use of drug paraphernalia at approximately 5:25 p.m. on Tuesday.

Bennett is 43 years old and is not an MU student. He was transported to Boone County Jail; his bond was set for $2,000 as of Tuesday evening.

Bennett’s arrest occurred near the intersection of Hitt Street and Paquin Street after an officer discovered Bennett in a vehicle that matched the description provided in the initial report.

MUPD was investigating a report of two incidents of indecent exposure within the past week, according to a Clery release sent out Tuesday afternoon.

The incidents allegedly occurred in Bennett’s vehicle at Hitt Street and University Avenue. The first incident happened at 12:45 p.m. on Sept. 7 and the second happened five days later at 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 12, according to the release. Both were reported on Sept. 12 at around 6 p.m.

According to the initial report, Bennett was driving a black Volkswagen Passat with Missouri plates and the license number AJ4H4J. He was described as a tan, dark-haired, white male in his mid 20s to early 30s and was wearing a red bandana, plain black shirt and a baseball hat.

Edited by Tessa Weinberg | tweinberg@themaneater.com