Friday, March 24, 2017

Mizzou track and field kicks off season at Border Battle

The Tigers had nine top-three finishes against Iowa and Illinois on Saturday.

Courtesy of Mizzou Athletics

Mizzou Athletics

Jan. 10, 2017

Missouri track and field did not start its 2017 campaign at full strength, bringing only certain athletes to its first tri-meet of the indoor season at the Border Battle in Iowa City, Iowa. Despite this, the Tigers had plenty to be proud of, bringing home two first-place winners, along with seven other top-three finishers.

The two first-place finishes both came on the women’s side with senior LaQuisha Jackson winning the 60-meter dash at 7.42 seconds. Sophomore Maya Cody was not far behind, coming in second with a time of 7.48. Jackson also ran on the 4x400 meter relay team, which finished third and included Cody, Sydney Wells and Valerie Thames.

The other first-place finisher was redshirt sophomore Gabi Jacobs, who won the shot put with a throw of 14.88 meters.

Other strong performances came in the field, where sophomore Shammai Ilis finished fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 11.53 meters and sophomore Karissa Roman registered 1.58 meters in the high jump.

On the track, freshman Karina Liz finished second in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:37.11. In the 1,000-meter run, senior Bailey Hession ran a 3:11.38 to place third. Redshirt freshman Samantha Farmer placed fifth in the mile run, and redshirt junior Kaelyn Balch ran a 10:47.97 to finish fourth in the 3-kilometer.

The men’s side did not fare as well but still produced strong performances. Sophomore Kahmari Montgomery, a returning two-time Southeastern Conference 400-meter champion, placed 13th in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:26.17. He also ran on the fourth place 4x400 meter relay team and placed seventh in the 60-meter dash. Redshirt junior Cain Winebrenner placed second in the 60-meter with a time of 1:20.76.

Sophomore Thomas George and redshirt senior Luca Russo finished third and fourth in the 1,000-meter run with times of 2:28.30 and 2:29.57, respectively. Following that, redshirt junior Ben Goodman finished third in the mile with a time of 4:14.81.

In field events, redshirt sophomore Avery Carter threw 16.79 meters in the shot put to place fourth. Redshirt senior Ahren Bohanan also contributed with a throw of 17.32 meters, good enough for third place.

The next meet for the Tigers is the Commodore Invitational, which will take place Jan. 13-14 in Nashville, Tennessee. The Tigers will then return to Columbia for the Tiger Invitational on Jan. 20 at Hearnes Center.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com