Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Three slates begin MSA presidential campaigns

Two debates will take place Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. in Bengal Lair and Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. in The Shack.

2017 MSA President and Vice Presidential Slates (L-R): Shruti Gulati and Josh Stockton, Tori Shafer and Riley de Leon, and Nathan Willett and Payton Englert.

(L-R): Courtesy of "It Starts with Us" twitter. Courtesy of "Tori & Riley for MSA" twitter. Courtesy of "Nathan and Payton – MSA 2017" Go Fund Me.

The MSA Board of Elections Commissioners announced three president and vice president slates, Tori Schafer/Riley de Leon, Nathan Willett/Payton Englert and Josh Stockton/Shruti Gulati, Monday morning.

Schafer/de Leon have given their campaign the slogan “Make It Matter, Mizzou.” Schafer, a junior studying political science and journalism, is the current Missouri Students Association vice president. She is a regional advisor for the national It’s On Us campaign.

De Leon, a journalism major, is currently the Social Media and Technologies Coordinator of the Department of Student Communication. He got involved with MSA his sophomore year.

The Willett/Englert slate is running under the slogan “Tigers Together.” Willett is an economics and business major who has served on Sigma Chi’s executive board and the RAMS steering committee as well as in MSA Senate.

Englert is a junior studying health sciences. Her past leadership experience includes serving on the Greek Week steering committee and the Mizzou Wishmakers’ executive board, as well as two years as an MSA senator.

The Stockton/Gulati slate’s slogan is “It Starts With Us.” Stockton is a junior studying finance and was the first president of MU’s Delta Kappa Epsilon chapter. He has also been involved with the Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity, Mizzou Alternative Breaks and the MSA Senate Budget Committee.

Gulati is a marketing major, a facilitator at MU’s Professional Development Program and a student clerical assistant at the Engineering Library, according to her Facebook page.

Two debates are scheduled before the election. The first, hosted by The Maneater and Four Front, will take place Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. in Bengal Lair. The second, hosted by The Maneater and the BEC, will take place Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Shack. Voting will open March 6 and close March 8.

Edited by Katie Rosso | krosso@themaneater.com