Monday, July 24, 2017

No. 14 Missouri gymnastics places seventh at SEC Championship

Becca Schugel and Britney Ward earn spots on the All-SEC Team.

Missouri's gymnastics team huddles up before starting a home December match.

Julia Hansen/Staff Photographer

No. 14 Missouri gymnastics traveled to Jacksonville, Florida, to compete in the Southeastern Conference Championship meet over the weekend. The team scored a 195.825 to place seventh overall.

Louisiana State University took the SEC Championship title with a score of 198.075. Florida finished in second with a 197.825, and Alabama came in third at 197.400.

Bars were the first rotation, and the Tigers earned a total score of 48.750 to get the meet started. Junior Becca Schugel led the pack, posting the top score of the event with a 9.850. Sophomore Allison Bower followed with a 9.750, and junior Shauna Miller and sophomore Madeleine Huber both scored a 9.725 to help the Tigers.

In the second rotation on beam, the Tigers marked their highest event total of the meet with four athletes earning a score of 9.800 or higher. Sophomore Britney Ward started the event off strong with a 9.875, earning not only a team best, but a spot on the All-SEC Team. Schugel and sophomore Brooke Kelly earned identical scores of 9.825. Sophomore Tia Allbritten earned a 9.800, and freshman Aspen Tucker and Bower finished up the event by each scoring a 9.775.

Floor was up next for the third rotation, and Mizzou earned a team score of 48.900. Schugel dominated in her routine, scoring a Mizzou-high 9.850 and a spot on the All-SEC Team. Junior Kennedi Harris notched a 9.825 to contribute to the team’s high score, and Bower and Huber both scored a 9.750.

The meet finished with vault as the final rotation. Ward anchored a team high score of 9.875, Tucker earned a 9.850 and both Huber and Miller tallied a 9.800. Also, both Harris and senior Angie Kern scored a 9.750 to finish out the day.

"We started off a little slow, but we got it back on track," coach Shannon Welker said in a news release. "We did well on the last three events.”

Schugel and Ward shined for the Tigers, claiming spots on the All-SEC Team with their stellar performances. Schugel earned a spot for her performance on the floor, and Ward earned hers on the vault.

“We have to stick some more dismounts and get a little better preparation going into Regionals,” Welker said in the release. “But I thought we had a solid regular season, and we're looking forward to going into postseason."

Next, the Tigers head to NCAA Regionals. Regionals will be announced Monday.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com