Monday, September 25, 2017

Trey Harris named Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Player of the Week

The junior outfielder slugged five home runs last week.

Maneater File Photo

Junior outfielder Trey Harris was named Collegiate Baseball Newspaper National Player of the Week in its most recent issue Monday morning.

Harris had a monster week for Mizzou, helping the Tigers to a 3-2 record in five games last week. Over those five games, Harris hit five home runs, four of which were in consecutive at-bats during the Kentucky series on Friday and Saturday. He also drove in eight RBIs and scored seven total runs.

Harris’ three home runs in Saturday’s game made him the first Tiger to accomplish that feat since Jacob Priday in 2008.

Harris’ power surge rocketed him up the statistical leaders for home runs in the Southeastern Conference. He now sits third in the SEC with 11 homers, the most by a Mizzou player since 2012.

Over the last nine games, Harris has distinguished himself as the team’s offensive leader. He now leads the team in batting average, runs, hits, home runs, RBIs, walks, and slugging in that span. Over the stretch, he is hitting a team-best .353 with eight homers and 14 RBIs.

Perhaps the most impressive of all the above stats is the fact that he’s drawn six walks in that span. Prior to the 2017 season, Harris had drawn just 27 career walks. He’s already eclipsed that with a career-high total of 29 this season, a total that ranks third in the SEC.

Unfortunately for the Tigers and Harris, he suffered an injury in Sunday’s 6-1 loss to Kentucky. He went down clearly in pain in the sixth inning of Sunday’s contest but ultimately exited the game under his own power.

Head coach Steve Bieser wasn’t too concerned after the game.

Harris was left out of the lineup for Missouri’s Tuesday night contest versus Missouri State with no word on his status coming from the athletic department. Harris’ bat will be missed in the lineup, and whether or not he is featured in the the lineup in the Tigers’ upcoming weekend series in Oxford, Mississippi against Ole Miss will be a telling sign as to how severe the injury is.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com