Festival fosters fun and flavor

Five-time Grammy winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Buddy Guy headlines the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival on Saturday night at the Shelter Insurance Stage. Guy played a combination of classics, covers and new material, and kept the audience engaged by walking through the crowd at one point.

The second-annual Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival brought more than 100,000 concert-goers to downtown Columbia this past weekend.

This festival showcased first-class roots and blues musicians and other artists, including Grammy Award winners Buddy Guy and Jerry Douglas.

In addition to the musical entertainment, the Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctioned a competition with more than 50 entrants in several categories. The overall winner of the barbecue contest was the Blaster BBQ team from Mustang, Okla.

After last year's festival, which was intended as a celebration for Boone County National Bank's 150th anniversary, it was unclear whether the festival would return to Columbia for a second year. This spring, the city approved $100,000 in funding to bring the festival back.

However, a state of uncertainty has already emerged regarding the future of Roots 'N Blues, including whether producer Thumper Entertainment can find sufficient sponsors to make the festival a more permanent fixture in Columbia.