Community reacts to Gomez/Hanner misconduct

Legion of Black Collegians’ letter: “It is clear now that those involved with this campaign have no intent of helping to eradicate the bigoted and racist problems that have plagued this campus and greater community for so long.”

Groups at MU released statements about Missouri Students Association President-elect Haden Gomez and Vice President-elect Chris Hanner after incriminating evidence of violations during the election period arose Tuesday night in the form of GroupMe messages.

The messages among Gomez, Hanner, and former campaign managers Natalie Edelstein and Josh Boehm, prompted the MSA Operations Committee to draft three resolutions to block the slate from taking office.

The Department of Student Life tweeted that they will be looking into the issue:

The Legion of Black Collegians tweeted out a statement earlier this afternoon, condemning the Gomez/Hanner slate and calling for them to be barred from office.

“Gomez/Hanner were elected with the thought that they would be able to provide accommodation and support to those who call themselves Tigers,” the letter read. “However, it is clear now that those involved with this campaign have no intent of helping to eradicate the bigoted and racist problems that have plagued this campus and greater community for so long.”

And even Jonathan Butler, a leader of the Concerned Student 1950 movement, tweeted about the issue.

Earlier today, Butler sent out this tweet of last year’s MSA slate Payton Head and Brenda Smith-Lezama:

Edited by Hailey Stolze | hstolze@themaneater.com