Letter to the Editor: MU should continue work toward alternative energy

I'm really glad you wrote about the Missouri students' rally for coal-free energy on Wednesday. It's a really important issue to address.

From blowing off mountain tops in mountain top removal mining to toxic coal ash disposal, everything in coal power generation is incredibly destructive. An important example of this is coal plants emit nearly 40 percent of our nation's carbon dioxide emissions, significantly contributing to global warming. Recent studies have predicted that Missouri will look more like Texas by this century's end and agricultural yields will drastically decline due to extreme weather and climate changes if emissions aren't dramatically reduced.

Fortunately, we can eliminate coal and continue powering the country. Alternative energy is the future. With our current economic state, there isn't a better time to phase out coal and implement clean energy jobs.

This is why Mizzou is ready and already accomplishing great things to phase out coal and lead the way into the cleaner future responsibly. Mizzou has already cut power needs while saving money, like the $4.6 million energy management has saved annually from conservation efforts. We're on the right track, but there is much more we can do to lead in alternative energy.