Halftime report: Pleasant surprises marred by missed opportunities

Drew Lock completed 11 of 22 passes for 152 yards in the first half.

The Missouri football season did not get off to an ideal start on Saturday. The Tigers are down 13-3 after the first half of their opening game against West Virginia, though Missouri held the Mountaineers to three points in the second quarter.

Here are a few takeaways from the first half:

Drew Lock looked pretty good: At training camp, Missouri players and coaches raved about Lock’s improved confidence. It was on display in Morgantown, West Virginia. The sophomore completed 11 of 22 passes for 152 yards.

J’Mon Moore shows flashes of improvement: Although he had a few drops, Moore caught six passes for 79 yards. Lock connected with Moore for a 42-yard pass in the second quarter.

No tackles for Charles Harris: Junior Charles Harris did not have any tackles, but he did put pressure on the quarterback. Still, the All-Southeastern Conference preseason honoree probably isn’t thrilled with his first half showing.

Freshmen miss opportunities: Missouri kicker Tucker McCann missed a 24-yard field goal that would have put the Tigers within a touchdown of West Virginia. Earlier in the half, running back Damarea Crockett fumbled after a successful string of Lock passes.

Scherer looks like a Brother: Senior linebacker Michael Scherer had eight tackles in the first half. It was reminiscent of Kentrell Brothers’ play last season.

Edited by Theo DeRosa | tderosa@themaneater.com