Residence Hall Guide

Use our interactive map to learn more about the residence hall of your choice.

Introduction

Each of MU's 20 residence halls has something different to offer. The amenities are more or less the same, but experiences vary across campus. This housing guide aims to give incoming students an inside peek at the realities of life in the residence halls. The Maneater interviewed and surveyed 123 MU students to paint a picture of what on-campus housing looks like from a student perspective. Additionally, this housing guide provides insight into which Freshman Interest Groups and learning communities are in which halls. These descriptions will help readers to pick a residence hall that is the right fit based on both their educational and social interests. The responses below were lightly edited for style.

Terms to know

Freshman Interest Group:

A group of about 15 to 25 students who are enrolled in the same classes.

Thematic Learning Community:

People with the same major or interest living together.

General Learning Community:

A group of students with diverse majors and interests living in the same space.

Suite-style:

You share a bathroom with four people.

Traditional:

The bathroom is down the hall, and you have just one roommate.

Residence hall:

Not dorm. Don’t ask why. It’s an MU thing.

Map

Halls

Brooks

Basics: The newest hall on campus is located in the southwest corner of campus next to Greektown, Faurot Field and the Pavilion at Dobbs.

The building, which is named after one of MU’s first black administrators, will be home to business learning communities. It opens its doors in August 2016.

College Avenue

Basics: College Avenue Hall is located on the east side of campus, near Hatch and Schurz halls. The residence hall is a short walk to Baja Grill and Plaza 900.

Defoe-Graham

Basics: Defoe-Graham Hall is located near the Medical School, Mizzou Market, the Student Center, MizzouRec and Stankowski Fields, in the center of campus.

Discovery

Basics: Discovery Hall is located on the southeast side of campus near Plaza 900 and Rollins dining halls. The hall is located in a cluster of halls that reflect MU’s core values: Respect, Responsibility, Discovery and Excellence.

Dogwood

Basics: Dogwood is a part of the HawLeWood complex in the center of campus. The residence hall is located near the Student Center, Mizzou Market, Sabai and MizzouRec.

Excellence

Basics: Excellence Hall is located on the southeast side of campus near Plaza 900 and Rollins dining halls. The hall is located in a cluster of halls that reflect Mizzou’s core values: Respect, Responsibility, Discovery and Excellence.

This residence hall will not be open for the 2016–17 school year.

Galena

Basics: Galena Hall is a part of the HawLeWood complex in the center of campus. The residence hall is located near the Student Center, Mizzou Market, Sabai and MizzouRec.

Gateway

Basics: Gateway Hall is located on the southeast side of campus, and is the first and only residence hall to have private unisex bathrooms. The residence hall is near Mizzou Market and Plaza 900.

Gillett

Basics: Gillett Hall is located near the Student Center and is a part of the Rollins complex, which is also home to Hudson Hall and Rollins Dining Hall. Plaza 900 and Sabai are other nearby dining options, and the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources building and life sciences buildings are also close.

Hatch

Basics: Hatch Hall is located on the east side of campus, near Schurz and College Avenue halls. The residence hall is a short walk to Baja Grill and Plaza 900.

Hawthorn

Basics: Hawthorn Hall is a part of the HawLeWood complex in the center of campus. The residence hall is located near the Student Center, Mizzou Market, Sabai and MizzouRec.

Hudson

Basics: Hudson Hall is located near the Student Center and is a part of the Rollins complex, which contains Rollins Dining Hall. Plaza 900 and Sabai are other dining options nearby, and the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources building, and life sciences buildings are also close.

Johnston

Basics: Johnston Hall is located in the center of campus. Near the Student Center, MizzouRec, Sabai and many class buildings, this hall is a short walk to most places.

Lathrop (In memoriam)

Basics: Lathrop Hall is near North, Center, and South halls, Greektown and Faurot Field.

Laws (In memoriam)

Basics: Laws Hall is located near North, South and Center halls and the Pavilion at Dobbs dining hall on the southwestern side of campus. It will be torn down during the 2016–17 school year.

Mark Twain

Basics: Mark Twain Hall is located on the northwest side of campus, near Taco Bell, the MKT Trail and downtown Columbia. It has seven floors, suite-style rooms and features its own dining hall, The Mark on 5th Street.

McDavid

Basics: McDavid Hall is located on the edge of campus, near The Mark on 5th Street, Peace Park and downtown Columbia. This residence hall is one of the smallest on campus.

North, Center and South

Basics: North, Center and South residence halls are located in a cluster near Mizzou Market Southwest, a convenience store, and the Pavilion at Dobbs. Together, the three halls house about 650 students.

Respect

Basics: Respect Hall is located on the southeast side of campus near Plaza 900 and Rollins dining halls. The hall is located in a cluster of halls that reflect Mizzou’s core values: Respect, Responsibility, Discovery and Excellence. Respect is suite-style, and you could snag room with its own common area.

Responsibility

Basics: Responsibility Hall is located on the southeast side of campus near Plaza 900 and Rollins dining halls. The hall is located in a cluster of halls that reflect Mizzou’s core values: Respect, Responsibility, Discovery and Excellence.

Responsibility, like the other four in the complex, offers residents the opportunity to experience new things and to get to know a variety of people. All four floors are GLCs. When it’s nice out, you are steps away from the Plaza amphitheatre, a great place for people-watching and eating carnival cookies.

Schurz

Basics: Schurz Hall is located on the east side of campus, near Hatch and College Avenue halls. The residence hall is a short walk to Baja Grill and Plaza 900, and it has traditional-style rooms.

Wolpers

Basics: Wolpers Hall is located in the center of campus, near MizzouRec, the Student Center, Sabai and Rollins dining hall.