Beatriz Costa-Lima

EDITORIAL BOARD POSITIONS
  • City, State and Nation Editor (Fall 2013)
STAFF POSITIONS
ARTICLES (64)
PHOTOS (65)
Runners begin running the Mizzou Black Men's Initiative Run MIZ 5K heading down Virginia avenue Saturday morning. The 5K started and ended at the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center and went through campus. (Aug. 25, 2012)
Freshman Michael Sojna stretches prior to running the Mizzou Black Men's Initiative Run MIZ 5K Saturday morning. Runners received shirts and water bottles for participation in the 5K that started and ended at the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center. (Aug. 25, 2012)
Junior Jordan Williams dances with his Alpha Phi Alpha brothers at the Plaza Amphitheater on Wednesday at the Legion of Black Collegians Welcome Black BBQ. Student enjoys free food and drinks and a live DJ. (Aug. 24, 2012)
Junior Danielle Nottingham fights for the ball with Tennessee Tech's Kelsey sophomore McGohan Sunday at Walton Stadium. The No. 10 MU soccer team ended the game with a 2-0 victory bringing their record to 5-0. (Sep. 02, 2012)
Senior midfielder Haley Krentz looks to pass the ball Sunday in a game against Tennessee Tech. The No. 10 Missouri soccer team ended the game with a 2-0 victory, bringing its record to 5-0. Missouri won five straight games to open its season for the first time since 2006. (Sep. 07, 2012)
Students learn about Korean culture while visiting the Korean Students and Scholars Association table Friday night at the International Welcome Party. More than 800 students attended the event, which featured 12 international organizations and clubs. (Sep. 11, 2012)
Detective Andy Anderson works in his office as the coordinator of the Boone County Sheriff's Department Cyber Crimes Task Force. Along with four other detectives, Anderson works to fight cyber crimes against children. (Sep. 14, 2012)
Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein kicks the ball upfield against Tennessee Tech during the Tigers' last home game at Walton Stadium. The Tigers open Southeastern Conference play Friday at Auburn. (Sep. 14, 2012)
Junior Lisa Henning jumps to send the ball over net Sunday in a match against Ole Miss at the Hearnes Center. The Tigers swept the match with a 3-0 win and will head on the road Friday to play No. 13 Florida. (Sep. 16, 2012)
Sophomore Sarah Meister celebrates with her teammates after the team finished a 3-0 victory against Ole Miss Sunday at the Hearnes Center. The Tigers will play No. 13 Florida next Friday. (Sep. 16, 2012)
Stanley Diaz requests the Columbia City Council refrain from raising utility rates and inspection fees for landlords like himself during Monday night's meeting at City Hall. Diaz, who is a landlord for many low-income families, worries the new rates would force him to raise rent for people already struggling to pay. (Sep. 18, 2012)
Gov. Jay Nixon addresses press, faculty and students at the Sinclair School of Nursing Thursday. Along with praising the university's nursing program, Nixon announced the most recent grant through the Caring for Missourians initiative, which gives nearly $1 million to educate nurses at colleges and universities across Missouri. (Sep. 21, 2012)
Musicians play Thai music for students visiting the Thai table at the International Bazaar on Tuesday. Along with a flag processional and Thai cultural performances, the International Bazaar was one of many events on campus during MU International Day. (Sep. 28, 2012)
Arwa Mohammad explains the five pillars to students at the Women in Islam presentation in the Women's Center on Tuesday. Along with sophomore Farah El-Jayyousi, Mohammad answered students' questions about Islamic culture and beliefs. (Sep. 28, 2012)
Freshman defender Candace Johnson fights for the ball in a game against Mississippi State on Sunday at Walton Stadium. The Tigers won the game 2-0 with goals by forwards sophomore Abi Raymer and senior Taiwo Adeshigbin. (Oct. 09, 2012)
Runners throw gold powder onto each other as the Black and Gold Run begins Saturday in Peace Park. Sponsored by Clear 99 and Ultramaxx Sports, the Black and Gold Run kicked off game day festivities. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Runners await the start of the Black and Gold Run to begin Saturday morning in Peace Park. Prior to running, participants received cups of powder to color douse themselves in gold. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Junior Megan Miller dabs on gold powder on her face in preparation for the Black and Gold Run Saturday in Peace Park. Despite being asked to wait until the start of the race, many participants prematurely decorated themselves in gold powder. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Cups of gold paint sit outside at the Black and Gold Run. The two-mile route started at Peace Park and circled downtown and through part of campus. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Black and Gold Run volunteer Scheri Stoffer pours gold powder minutes before the Black and Gold Run Saturday morning in Peace Park. Sponsored by Clear 99 and Ultramaxx Sports, the Black and Gold Run kicked off game day festivities. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Runners launched gold powder in the air before taking off from the starting line Saturday morning at the Black and Gold Run in Peace Park. Within their two-mile run, participants received two doses of gold powder along the way. (Oct. 14, 2012)
Columbia Chamber of Commerce President Don Laird speaks to the Columbia City Council Monday night. Laird supports the plan to add American Airlines flights from Chicago and Dallas to the Columbia Regional Airport. (Oct. 15, 2012)
(Oct. 16, 2012)
Sen. Claire McCaskill, D.-Mo., takes orders and waits tables Tuesday morning at Flat Branch Pub & Brewing. McCaskill said she chose to host the event in her hometown of Columbia because it is where she began waitressing. (Oct. 16, 2012)
Freshman forward Lauren Flynn fights two LSU defenders for the ball Sunday at Walton Stadium. Missouri concluded the weekend with loses to both Arkansas and LSU. (Oct. 21, 2012)
Coach Bryan Blitz talks with players before Sunday's game at Walton Stadium. Blitz will travel Thursday to College Station, Texas, to meet his former Tulsa teammate Gerald Guerrieri. (Oct. 22, 2012)
Mayor Bob McDavid talks with a reporter after a special meeting Monday morning. City Council members approved all four ordinances of a deal with American Airlines that would provide flights to Chicago and Dallas from Columbia Regional Airport. (Oct. 22, 2012)
Midfielder senior Haley Krentz sends the ball flying toward the LSU goal Sunday at Walton Stadium. No. 25 Missouri fell to No. 13 Texas A&M in overtime Thursday night. (Oct. 26, 2012)
Fifth Ward Councilwoman Helen Anthony speaks at the Sept. 17 Columbia City Council meeting. Anthony, who has served in the position since April 2011, announced she was resigning effective Nov. 30. (Oct. 26, 2012)
Graduate student Amina Simmons answers a visitor's question at the Mizzou Human Library Project. Simmons represented the book "The Business of None of Your Business" at the Human Library, which was a part of the 2012 Mizzou Diversity Summit. (Nov. 02, 2012)
(Nov. 02, 2012)
Coach Bryan Blitz directs his team before a game earlier this season at Walton Stadium. Blitz will miss the team's NCAA Tournament opener Saturday with a suspension due to a red card he was issued last weekend. (Nov. 09, 2012)
Midfielder senior Jessica Greer seeks comfort in teammate midfielder junior Dominique Richardson after a loss to Illinois on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA tournament at Walton Stadium. The Tigers fell to Illinois after a penalty kick shootout following a 1-1 game. (Nov. 13, 2012)
Columbia City Manager Mike Matthes explains he is still hopeful about the success of the FastCAT Express buses at a City Council meeting Monday night. A report released at the meeting showed FastCAT Express pass sales are not covering the annual costs of the route. (Dec. 04, 2012)
Graduate student Brady Gall finishes up work in his office Wednesday night. Brady, president of the MU Brony Club, keeps one of his Rainbow Dash toys from his My Little Pony collection on his desk. (Dec. 07, 2012)
A group of nearly 20 students and faculty gathered for a "You In Mizzou" discussion. The small circle dialogue allowed participants to share ideas and experiences about their own cultures. (Dec. 07, 2012)
Columbia residents rise from their seats to show support for the demolition moratorium at Tuesday's City Council meeting. A supporter for the moratorium took the podium during the public comment period and asked for all those who want to save the Niedermeyer building to stand. (Jan. 25, 2013)
Mayor Bob McDavid listens as a Columbia resident pleads the City Council members to save the Niedermeyer building at the Jan. 22 meeting. Three candidates are currently vying for the open Fifth Ward spot on City Council. (Feb. 01, 2013)
Protestors hold up signs in front of Hill Hall to demonstrate their opposition to the possible hiring of retired military psychologist Dr. Larry C. James as division executive director of the MU college of education. The protesters began at the Islamic Center of Central Missouri, stopped at Hill Hall and Jesse Hall. (Feb. 01, 2013)
Mayor Bob McDavid shakes the hand of City Counselor Fred Boeckmann at City Council's Jan. 22 meeting. The council discussed making the transit system more efficient to better serve students and low-income families at its meeting Monday night. (Feb. 05, 2013)
Members of MU Skeptics, Atheists, Secular Humanists and Agnostics discuss their personal experiences as atheists or agnostics at the "My Book, Your Book, Their Book, No Book — Exploring Secularism" event Wednesday night. MU SASHA partnered with the Chancellor's Diversity Initiative for the event to raise awareness and break negative stigmas surrounding secular beliefs. (Feb. 15, 2013)
Pope Benedict XVI recites his Sunday Angelus prayer from the window of his apartment as an audience gathered in St. Peter's Square in Vatican City in early January. Pope Benedict announced Monday that he would resign effective 8 p.m. Rome time Feb. 28. (Feb. 15, 2013)
Mayor Bob McDavid listens to another council member during a City Council meeting. McDavid received 54.2 percent of the vote in his last election in 2010. (Feb. 19, 2013)
City Council members listen to a Columbia resident during a public comment session at Monday night's meeting. Residents attended the meeting to speak out about the current Phase 1 plan of the Providence Road project that includes the acquisition and removal of eight homes. (Feb. 19, 2013)
President of the Minority Men's Network Steve Calloway speaks about the problems with health care in the U.S. at a panel discussion Tuesday night. As part of Black History Month events, the Columbia Parks and Recreation coordinated a panel discussion titled "Where Do We Go From Here?" (Feb. 22, 2013)
Students perform at Rockin’ Against Multiple Sclerosis at The Blue Note Wednesday night. RAMS is a campus-wide fundraiser to raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Institute and to raise awareness about the disease. (Feb. 22, 2013)
MSA senator Gunnar Johanson makes a snowball Thursday night on Francis Quadrangle. Johanson organized a student snowball fight after class was cancelled. (Feb. 22, 2013)
Students, faculty and guests listen as law professor Frank O. Bowman III speaks during the first panel discussion of the Missouri Law Review Symposium Friday morning. The symposium focused on the ramifications of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Miller v. Alabama case. (Mar. 12, 2013)
Columbia resident Jeremy Root speaks to council members at Monday night's City Council meeting. City Council voted to table an ordinance that would appropriate funds to purchase an Armored Personnel Carrier for the Columbia Police Department. (Mar. 19, 2013)
Pitcher junior Rob Zastryzny prepares to pitch the ball Friday night in a game against fifth-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks. The Tigers lost 4-1, but split a doubleheader against the Gamecocks on Saturday night, losing the first game 2-0 and winning the next game 4-0. (Mar. 19, 2013)
Members of City Council listen to a Columbia resident during a scheduled public comment at Monday night's City Council meeting. The council approved the appropriation of funds for the Columbia Police Department to purchase an armored personnel vehicle. (Apr. 02, 2013)
Cars line the road outside of Alpha Gamma Sigma and Delta Gamma. Under the original plan for the Providence Road Improvement Project, sorority and fraternity members would lose about 150 parking spaces. (Apr. 12, 2013)
Columbia residents packed the City Hall meeting room to witness the vote regarding the Providence Road Improvement Project at Monday night's City Council meeting. In a 5-2 vote, council rescinded the plan passed Nov. 19. (Apr. 16, 2013)
Americans for Forfeiture Reform representative Patrick Nolan spoke at an event sponsored by Young Americans for Liberty on Thursday night. Nolan discussed state and local efforts for federal participation in federal asset forfeiture and how citizens could approach reform. (Apr. 19, 2013)
Senior Dane Opel swings at the ball at a game against South Carolina on March 15. The Tigers have a team batting average of .246, the worst in the Southeastern Conference. (Apr. 19, 2013)
Senior Jason Zack advises senior Nicole Everett during an exit counseling session at the Office for Financial Success on Thursday afternoon. The OFS offers one-on-one sessions to help graduating students with loan bet management. (Apr. 26, 2013)
Sophomore Caty Eisterhold enjoys an ice cream cone outside of beloved downtown Columbia institution Sparky's Homemade Ice Cream. (Sep. 24, 2013)
Street preacher Jesse Morrell preaches to students Monday, Sept. 30, in Speakers Circle about the wrongness of sexting. A crowd of students circled around Brother Jesse to respond to his claims, including one student with a megaphone. (Oct. 09, 2013)
Freshman Jordan Frericks rises above Southwestern Baptist’s Mackenzie Skupa in the Tigers’ exhibition win Tuesday. Frericks scored 16 points in her first college appearance. (Oct. 30, 2013)
Freshman forward Johnathan Williams III is Missouri’s top recruit for the 2013 season. Williams was recruited from Memphis, Tenn. (Nov. 06, 2013)
Sophomore Lauren McDermott is passionate about serving others, Tiger Pantry director Paul Haluszczak said. McDermott was recently named Tiger Pantry’s third director since its foundation in 2012. (Nov. 13, 2013)
Senior forward Tania Jackson defends the basket during the Southwest Baptist exhibition game at Mizzou Arena on Oct. 29. Missouri defeated the Bearcats in a 79-53 victory. (Nov. 20, 2013)
GRAPHICS (2)
(Sep. 14, 2012)
(Sep. 14, 2012)
LAYOUTS (12)
News (Aug. 21, 2012)
News Front (Sep. 25, 2012)
Campus (Oct. 12, 2012)
Sports Front (Oct. 30, 2012)
Sports Full (Oct. 30, 2012)
Move Page 4 (Nov. 02, 2012)
MOVE (Feb. 08, 2013)
MOVE (Feb. 08, 2013)
News Half (Mar. 12, 2013)
Sports Half (Mar. 12, 2013)
MOVE 1 (Jan. 22, 2014)
MOVE 2 (Jan. 22, 2014)