Comedians bring laughter to Homecoming weekend

The event was sponsored by the Black Programming Committee.
Comedian Lil Duval imitates a reaction to a broken relationship at the Homecoming Comedy Show on Friday at Jesse Auditorium. The Missouri Students Association and Black Programming Committee sponsored the event.

Three comedians performed at the Homecoming Comedy Show on Friday at Jesse Auditorium. The comedy show is an annual event sponsored by the Black Programming Committee.

Membership Chairwoman Brittany Arnold said more than 800 tickets were sold. The sales doubled last year’s comedy show.

“The comedians make the tickets,” Arnold said. “They are pretty popular and have a very high demand.”

The show began with comedian Hope Flood’s performance about male and female relationships. Flood is one of the fastest rising “Keeping It Real” female comedians on the Laff circuit.

The other two featured comedians were Lil Duval and Benji Brown. Duval is known for being a semifinalist on Black Entertainment Television in 2005, and he has been on comedy tours to different schools. The three comedians' witty and vivid humor kept laughter and loud claps going throughout the show.

In addition to the appeal of the three comedians, Arnold said the scale of this year’s Homecoming event contributed to the high amount of ticket sales.

“Homecoming this year is huge and fantastic,” Arnold said. “Homecoming makes Mizzou come together as a whole.”

Arnold said the comedy show also helped people relax.

“The main purpose of the comedy show is to provide a form of entertainment to people who come home,” Arnold said. “People come and laugh. The show let people enjoy each other’s accompany and bound our community.”

Jenny and Bob McGarry came from Chicago to join the Homecoming event with their daughter, junior Kelly McGarry. The couple started their Homecoming weekend with the comedy show.

Jenny said her family has attended Homecoming for three years.

“The most attractive thing to me is to see all the kids and the excitement.” Jenny said. “I love that.”

Sophomore De’Andrea Sutton was busy during the weekend of Homecoming, but she chose the comedy show to celebrate the festivities. She said she was impressed by last year’s comedy show and expected a funny show by the three popular comedians featured this year.

“Last week has been stressful, and I really need to laugh,” Sutton said.