Ludo expands national fan base with <i>You're Awful,</i> <i>I Love You</i>

The third album hasn't torn them from their St. Louis roots.
The guys in Ludo aren't awful, but you'll still love them. Courtesy of Ludo

Ludo is no longer "Good Will Hunting" by themselves. With a critically acclaimed album, a nationwide tour with Relient K and sets on nationally broadcasted shows like "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," Ludo's fan base is no longer solely based in St. Louis, its native city, but all over the country.

"It's really not too much different, other than we're playing better shows than we have," Tim Convy, Moog player and Columbia native, said. "It doesn't completely sink in so much. It's good just because it has more people singing our songs, which is, in the end, what we really care about."

It may seem like Convy is being too modest - with all the media attention, it would be easy for the quirky rockers to let the fame get to their heads. The band hasn't forgotten who helped them get their start, though, and the guys make sure their original fans know that they are the same guys who started off in St. Louis five years ago.

"It's tough - some of them keep a careful eye on us," Convy said of the band's long-time St. Louis fans. "They don't let the spotlight get to us. The people who really know us and spend time with us know that we're no different, and we spend just as much time with everyone at shows."

The band's third album, You're Awful, I Love You, helped skyrocket the band into the limelight. By taking lessons learned from albums one and two, You're Awful, I Love You encompassed the best of both albums, which may have lead to Ludo's success.

"I think the goal with his album was to kind of capture where we are now," Convy said. "We put some stuff on there that's fun and poppy, like the first album, and other songs are more musically ambitious, like the second record. I don't think this is any sort of effort to be something else, but that's just where we are."

As a local band, Ludo isn't foreign to venues including Columbia's The Blue Note or St. Louis' The Pageant. New stops on tours, collected by the band's newfound accomplishments, provide fresh insight that differ from these 'oldies but goodies,' refreshing the boys.

"Our favorite part is just the nights where you don't know what's going to happen," Convy said. "We'll go somewhere we've never been before. It's cool to stop and think about how far we've come, and that makes it a lot of fun too."

After three albums in five short years, relationships that have lasted since high school and friends that also play the role of business partners and fellow performers, tensions sometimes rise between the band members. Although Convy called their partnership a success, it hasn't been easy because they are all very different people, but he said it's worth it.

"We have to work really hard to get along," Convy said. "It's like any other relationship that anyone has. We all believe so much in what we're doing. We couldn't do anything else - we're bonded by that. We just focus on what we're trying to do and try to enjoy it, and we've been lucky so far."