Alpha Tau Omega under investigation, reason unclear

The fraternity may be asked to leave the Greek system.
Students enter the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house Thursday. The fraternity is under investigation by Office of Student Affairs for undisclosed reasons.

MU officials confirmed Wednesday that the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity is under investigation by the Office of Student Affairs and could possibly face a loss of its recognition in the Greek Life system. The officials would not say the reason the chapter is being investigated.

MU spokesman Christian Basi said the university had informed Alpha Tau Omega that it was under investigation and facing sanctions for "potential conduct violations."

Alpha Tau Omega President Matt Cantrell declined to comment on the details of why the fraternity was under investigation.

Basi said that if Alpha Tau Omega is found to have committed a conduct violation, the fraternity can appeal the decision. He said a panel would evaluate all of the evidence and then issue a recommendation to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Cathy Scroggs.

Basi said the appeals could take place during winter break, depending on the availability of all those "involved." He would not say whether the appeals hearing would be open to the public.

"What I can tell you is that ATO is under investigation and the sanctions could range from a written reprimand to unrecognition," Basi said.

Scroggs could not be reached for comment. The Office of Greek Life declined to comment on the nature of the investigation.

Columbia Police Department records show that police have been called to the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house at 909 Richmond Ave. 25 times in the past year, including one on Saturday, five times on Wednesday and once early Thursday morning at 3:29 a.m.

The officer in charge of records for the Columbia Police Department was on vacation through Thursday. Spokeswoman Denise Shaw said the police reports about calls made on Saturday, Wednesday and Thursday would not be available until today.

Bryan VanGronigen, president of the Interfraternity Council declined to comment.