Black Homecoming Court performs service projects

Voting for court is online and open to all students.
Male court members for the Legion of Black Collegians Black Homecoming perform their service project Tuesday at the Boys & Girls Club of the Columbia Area. Female court members volunteered Wednesday at the Lenoir Retirement Community.

As a part of the first Legion of Black Collegians Black Homecoming in more than a decade, both the male and female court members performed a service project as a requirement for royalty.

The men on the court spent an afternoon giving back to the community at the Boys & Girls Club in Columbia.

"I truly enjoyed my time at the Boys and Girls Club," senior king candidate Branden Bailey said. "The kids inspire us to be positive role models for them."

While there, candidates spent time playing games and helping children with their homework.

"It may seem like the typical community service to do, but any time young children have the opportunity to interact with positive role models it is a necessary occurrence," junior prince candidate Derrick Christian said of his time spent playing foosball and reading with children.

Nine female members of the Black Homecoming Court volunteered at the Lenoir Retirement Community on Wednesday.

The Homecoming court members played Wii, painted nails and chatted with the residents for their community service project.

"We thought it would be something different to do," senior queen candidate Cierra Chuley Obioha said. "And senior citizens are so heavily overlooked."

Each member of the court is sponsored by a black student organization and went through interviews and trivia as part of the selection process.

The court members have their last chance to campaign for themselves at a ball Thursday night at the Peachtree Catering and Banquet Center before the elections today. Voting is online and open to all students.

LBC Activities Chairwoman Erin Vincent said the revelation of the court was planned to happen during Friday's Common concert in Jesse Hall. However, Common's management denied the request, and she said LBC is still trying to decide where to announce the final court.

Obioha, sophomore Erica Brown and freshman Laparis Hawkins filed and painted Centralia resident Edith Cates' nails. The four talked about family, politics and technology.

As they filed and painted, the conversation turned to new technology. Chuley asked Cates if she knew about iPods. Cates said she knew about them but hadn't ever used one.

Chuley grabbed her iPod Touch from her purse and showed Cates the applications.

Sophomore Modupe Idowu and freshman Candess Cotton also painted nails.

Virginia Connell, 91, a Lenoir resident, talked to the two about her children and her former career as a hairdresser as the volunteers painted her nails a pale pink color.

Connell said it was "pretty darn nice" to have the volunteers visit and paint her nails.

Voting is at: iatsbase.missouri.edu/msa-voting/