Bradley, Goode await Senate approval

The two new curators were appointed Tuesday.

Gov. Jay Nixon appointed two new members to the UM system Board of Curators on Tuesday.

According to a news release from the governor's office, the appointments of David Bradley of St. Joseph, and Wayne Goode of St. Louis, are pending Senate confirmation and would end Jan. 1, 2015.

"These are two Missourians who have demonstrated their leadership skills for several decades," Nixon said in the news release. "I am very pleased to appoint David Bradley and Wayne Goode to positions where they will help set the course for the state's flagship university system as it prepares Missouri students to compete and excel in the global economy."

Bradley, 59, is a Republican and the president of the News-Press and Gazette Co., which publishes the St. Joseph News-Press. He has served on the UMB Financial Corp. board of directors since 1985 and is a former president of the Missouri Press Association.

"Bradley has worked in the newspaper business in positions from reporter to assistant managing editor to company president," the news release stated.

Goode, 71, is a Democrat and a former lawmaker who served as a representative for part of St. Louis County in the Missouri General Assembly from 1963 to 1985 and then as a senator from 1985 to 2005. Goode also served as chairman of the House Education Committee and the Senate Appropriations Committee. Goode, along with his wife and son, is a graduate of MU.

"During his first term as a state representative, he sponsored legislation that established the University of Missouri-St. Louis," the news release stated. "Goode also helped write legislation creating the state's School Foundation Formula, the state's first hazardous waste law and the 1990 omnibus solid waste bill."

Nixon spokesman Scott Holste said Bradley and Goode would replace Curators Cheryl Walker and Don Walsworth, who were appointed to the board in 2003 by former Gov. Bob Holden.